Interspecies Conflict/wild boar

Question
1) wild boar vs desert warthog (pariti)
2) 200kg wild boar vs 3x 50kg wulf
3) 200kg wild boar vs 110kg jaguár
4) 250kg wild boar vs 150kg sumatran tiger
4b)250kg wild boar vs 200kg baribal bear
5) 2x 5t megatherium vs 10t tyrannosaurus
6) 16t indricotherium vs 7t acrocantosaurus

Answer
Hello David.

1) wild boar vs desert warthog (pariti): The wild boar has very tough skin and tusks with sharp edges.  A desert warthog's tusks are long & curved.  A battle between these 2 suids at parity will be relatively close, but wild boars can be very aggressive and are tough to injure.  Both animals are battle-tested (deal with various predators and fight other males of their species), but the wild boar is a small step up.  Edge to wild boar.

2) 200kg wild boar vs 3x 50kg wulf: Wolves are excellent teamwork predators, but seldom attack when the risk is greater than the reward.  Wild boars are very aggressive, have tough hide that present problems for attackers, and sharp tusks that can cause serious injuries in a short amount of time.  The wolves will need to attack from all sides to divide the boar's attention, but the lateral quickness of the boar will be great enough to keep the wolves at bay.  With predators practiced at attacking together the group is greater than the sum of their parts, but this boar weighs 4 times as much as each wolf.  It's not an impossible task by any stretch, but the wild boar will have the overall edge.  Edge to wild boar.

3) 200kg wild boar vs 110kg jaguár: Jaguars are among the strongest (pound-for-pound) of all big cats, and have an extremely powerful bite (can crunch through caiman armor & turtle shells).  Their most common killing method is biting into the skull or spinal column of their quarry, which leads to a quick kill.  As formidable as a jaguar is, it will be too small in this scenario to consistently overpower a wild boar this much larger than it is.  The jaguar will need to get into a position to deliver a finishing bite while avoiding the slashing tusks of the boar, and although it may succeed on occasion, the big cat probably won't attempt this without the benefit of an ambush.  Wild boar wins.

4) 250kg wild boar vs 150kg Sumatran tiger: Tigers are good fighters and fantastic hunters, but wild boars are dangerous adversaries for them (tough hides, sharp tusks, good lateral movement).  Tigers can ambush prey items much heavier than themselves with success, but a face-to-face battle can change the odds.  The tiger will need to use its agility & quickness to avoid the tusks of the boar and get into position to deliver a finishing bite.  Its forepaws can be used to latch onto the boar and help impede the movement of the suid's anterior end, but trying this with a boar weighing 2/3 more can be extremely risky.  As with the jaguar mentioned previously, the tiger probably won't attempt this without an ambush.  Because ambushes can fail and turn into face-to-face fights, the tiger might not even attempt an ambush here.  Sumatran tigers occasionally prey on wild boar, but a boar this big will be able to hold its own against a tiger weighing 150kg on most occasions.  Wild boar wins.   

4b) 250kg wild boar vs 200kg baribal bear: Black bears (baribal bears) have typical ursid attributes (strength, endurance, durability, jaws & claws), but aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as brown bears are.  Wild boars are dangerous adversaries for anything in their size range (tough hides, sharp tusks, good lateral quickness).  Black bears primary eat vegetation, fish, insects, & fruit, but will occasionally predate upon small-to-medium sized animals.  They aren't practiced at dealing with animals in their size range, but will have the ability put up a fierce fight in a confrontation with one (with jaws & claws).  The bear's forelimbs (and body weight) will need to be used to control the anterior portion of the wild boar's body to keep the tusks at bay (and this will be a challenge against one this heavy).  In a realistic encounter the wild boar will drive the bear away, and a serious battle the suid will likely have the advantage with a 50kg cushion.  The bear isn't without hope, but won't be in its comfort zone.  The wild boar will have enough mobility & aggression to inflict damage quickly if the bear doesn't arrest its movements and mount a decent counter-attack.  Edge to wild boar.

5) 2x 5t Megatherium vs 10t Tyrannosaurus: Megatherium (giant ground sloth) was large enough to stand and look a Tyrannosaurus in the eye, and was armed with long clawed forelimbs that were likely an effective defense against attackers.  Its hide was also very tough, with numerous bony pieces forming an armor like chain mail underneath the fur.  Tyrannosaurus was a fearsome theropod with huge, powerful jaws and blade-like teeth.  This mighty carnivore likely hunted ceratopsains & hadrosaurs on a regular basis, and these prey items commonly approached the size of Megatherium.  The jaws of Tyrannosaurus wouldn't breach the hide of Megatherium easily, but were strong enough to effectively attack other vulnerable areas of the mammal (head/limbs).  Megatheriums were not swift animals, and their lateral movement was limited.  A 10t Tyrannosaurus would be quick enough to easily catch the 2 Megatheriums, and the Megatheriums would not have the mobility or speed to mount an attack or use any kind of teamwork to their advantage.  Tyrannosaurus will be too big & dangerous for the Megatheriums to deal with.  Edge to Tyrannosaurus.

6) 16t Indricotherium vs 7t Acrocanthosaurus: Indricotherium was quite possibly the largest land mammal to ever walk the earth.  It, to some degree, is one of the great unknowns.  Its massive size was enough of a defense against the predators of its day, but it never had to face a creature (of a predatory nature) as large as an Acrocanthosaurus.  It may have been able to use its body weight to knock over & trample an attacking theropod and perhaps deliver a heavy kick as well, but we don't know.  Indricotherium may have also used a bite in self-defense (like the modern-day Indian rhino does on occasion).  Acrocanthosaurus was armed with a huge bite, and often preyed upon Sauroposeidon (a sauropod that reached over 40t in weight), so it's likely that an Indricotherium would be well in its range.  Without being accustomed to defending itself against large theropods, I'd imagine the Indricotherium would be in trouble if attacked by an Acrocanthosaurus.  Edge to Acrocanthosaurus.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK