Interspecies Conflict/Natures Teen Girl Is Back On The Website !

Hello again BK,hope all is well.Normally I don't have that much interest in dinosaurs but after watching Jurassic Park the other day it got me thinking of these pterodactyl fights.So here we go.

Pterodactyl vs Gorilla

Pterodactyl vs Cape Buffalo

Pterodactyl vs Black Rhino

Pterodactyl vs Hippo

pterodactyl vs Kodiak Bear

Pterodactyl vs Lion

Pterodactyl vs Bengal Tiger

Pterodactyl vs Jaguar

Pterodactyl vs Leopard

Pterodactyl vs American Alligator

Pterodactyl vs Nile Crocodile

Pterodactyl vs Green Anaconda

Pterodactyl vs Great White Shark

Thank You and take as much time as you need!

Hello Trish.

The Jurassic Park movies are certainly entertaining (among my personal favorites), but some of the prehistoric creatures depicted in them weren't done so with the highest level of accuracy.  For an example, in the original Jurassic Park, the dromaeosaurids therein were called "Velociraptors", but were about as tall as a human when they walked upright.  An actual Velociraptor weighed about 15kg and stood less than a meter tall.  Another dromaeosaurid, Deinonychus, weighed about 75kg and was closer in size to the creatures portrayed in the movie.  The terms "Pterodactyl" and "Pterosaur" can be used to describe several kinds of flying reptiles (perhaps related to dinosaurs but not actually dinosaurs themselves), but the one used in Jurassic Park III was likely meant to be a large Pteranodon.  In the strictest sense of the word, "Pterodactyl" refers to Pterodactylus, which was a flying reptile with a wingspan of 1 meter and a weight of about 5kg.  The Pteranodon in the movie was a bit taller than a man when it walked and had a wingspan of approximately 6 meters or more.  Based on many of the scenes (when it walked, when it splashed down into the water, etc.) this Pteranodon appeared to weigh as much as an adult male human (maybe 90kg?).  It was also robust in build and was strong enough to carry the 12-year old boy into the air with ease.  It is very unlikely that an actual Pteranodon with a 6m wingspan would weigh anywhere close to the weight of an adult human or have the strength or ability to lift a child into the air.  The upper estimates for the weight of a Pteranodon place it above the weight of a adult human, but lower estimates are between 16-18kg.  One of the largest pterosaurs, Quetzalcoatlus, had a wingspan of over 10m and may have weighed as much as 250kg!  For these matchups, I'll use the Pteranodon depicted in Jurassic Park III (2m tall, 6m wingspan, approximately 90kg).  Realistically, a Pterodactylus will have no chance to win any of these matchups, and an accurate representation of a Pteranodon will not be able to win any of these matchups on most occasions.  We'll assume these confrontations occur on land (an "air attack" from a pteranodon will not have any great effect as it isn't really built to do so) except for the last one.  If you want this answered any other way, please let me know!  

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Gorilla: A gorilla will weigh almost 2 1/2 times as much as the pterosaur.  The movie version pterosaur used its long, sharp beak as a weapon to bite & stab with.  Gorillas are strong apes with long arms (that span over 2.5m), grabbing hands, and sharp canines to bite with.  They aren't practiced at battling other similar-sized animals other than other gorillas, and one will likely not know exactly what it needs to do to avoid the pterosaur's sharp beak and pull it to the ground.  A gorilla with the know-how to deal with pterosaurs will definitely have the physical ability to pull this off, but as is one will leave itself vulnerable more times than not.  A few stabs from the pterosaur's beak will likely drive the gorilla away.  Overall edge to pterosaur.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Cape Buffalo: A Cape buffalo will weigh at least 7 1/2 times as much as the pterosaur.  Most pterosaurs simply ate fish & scavenged, and weren't built to withstand the rigors of a serious fight with another animal.  A Cape buffalo is a powerful, unpredictable bovid with sharp horns and a mean temper.  These herbivores routinely defend themselves from dangerous predators (namely lions), and are difficult prey items for any predator.  In this battle, the Cape buffalo will have the strength to easily bowl the pterosaur over and trample it under its hooves.  The pterosaur won't be strong enough to fend the buffalo off.  Cape buffalo wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Black Rhino: A black rhinoceros will weigh at least 15 times as much as the pterosaur.  The black rhino has a tank-like build, a long frontal horn, and tough hide.  It can be rather aggressive at times.  The pterosaur will be in big trouble here.  The black rhino will simply charge into it, and the impact of the mammal's weight will likely crush the reptile.  Black rhino wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Hippo: A large hippopotamus can weigh 20-30 times as much as the pterosaur.  Hippos have rotund bodies, thick skin, and a huge bite (gape over 1m, forward-pointing incisors, long sharp canines).  They are among Africa's most dangerous animals.  A single bite from the hippo can easily dispatch the pterosaur, and the hippo's great weight can easily crush it.  The pterosaur simply doesn't have the size or appropriate weaponry to be effective in this fight.  Hippo wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Kodiak Bear: A Kodiak bear can weigh about 7 1/2 times as much as the pterosaur.  Kodiak bears are strong mammals with great endurance and formidable weaponry (jaws & claws).  Their forelimbs can be used to swipe or latch onto adversaries.  The Kodiak bear doesn't have the level of lateral quickness to guarantee it won't be struck by the pterosaur's sharp beak, but it will have the power to bring the reptile down before it receives any serious damage.  Once the bear topples the pterosaur, it will hold it in place and maul it with biting and clawing.  Kodiak bear wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Lion: A male African lion can weigh over 2 1/2 times as much as the pterosaur.  Although female lions (lionesses) do most of the hunting, the male lion is capable of effectively bringing down large prey items as well.  The male is also a practiced fighter, routinely defending its pride from other male lions that invade its territory.  The lion will need to avoid the sharp beak of the pterosaur, but will have the quickness, agility, and explosive action to do so.  The lion will spring onto the pterosaur and clamp onto its neck with its jaws.  Lion wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Bengal Tiger: A Bengal tiger can weigh about 3 times as much as the pterosaur.  As with the lion matchup, the tiger will have the same big cat attributes (and a little more size) that will enable it to prevail.  Tigers can subdue large prey items solo, and one will likely view this flying reptile as a typical meal.  Bengal tiger wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Jaguar: A jaguar can weigh more than 50% more than the pterosaur.  Jaguars are among the strongest of big cats pound-for-pound, and have incredibly strong bite forces (can crush turtle shells and bite through skulls).  The large appearance of the pterosaur may intimidate a jaguar in a face-to-face encounter, but a determined jaguar should have the attributes (speed, agility, athleticism, weaponry) to get the job done.  It will need to avoid the stabbing beak of the pterosaur, but considering the limited lateral movement of the reptile on land, it should be able to do so more times than not.  The jaguar will need to be careful, though.  Edge to jaguar.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Leopard: These 2 animals will weigh about the same.  Leopards are very powerful cats.  They are famous for their ability to drag large prey items into trees.  Leopards commonly deal with a variety of dangerous animals (hyenas, baboons, warthogs, etc.), and can tackle prey items larger than themselves.  As with the jaguar matchup, the leopard will need to avoid the sharp, stabbing beak of the reptile.  One solid hit might spell trouble for the cat, but if it can slip past the pterosaur's weapon and drag it to the ground, it should be able to finish it with a killing bite.  It won't be easy and this fight can go either way, but I slightly favor the leopard.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs American Alligator: An American alligator can weigh 4-5 times as much as the pterosaur.  The alligator will have limited mobility and stamina on land, but its armored hide (covered in osteoderms) will help protect it from the beak strikes of the pterosaur.  The alligator can make quick movements on land in short bursts, and one of these quick movements will likely afford it the opportunity to latch onto the flying reptile with its extremely powerful jaws.  Once the alligator's jaws clamp on, the pterosaur will have few options.  The fact that the pterosaur's lateral quickness won't be great enough to consider it a big enough advantage to consistently keep it from the jaws of the alligator will be key.  Both can win here, but the alligator will be favored.  Edge to alligator.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Nile Crocodile: A large Nile crocodile can weigh 10 times as much as the pterosaur, but most will only weigh about 5 times as much.  As with the American alligator matchup, the Nile crocodile will have the attributes necessary to succeed here.  Being twice as heavy as the alligator will help as well, as it will be a much more dangerous opponent for the pterosaur.  The tough hide of the Nile crocodile will help protect it from the stabs of the pterosaur, and its jaws will easily enable it to seize, control, and dispatch the prehistoric creature on most occasions.  Nile crocodile wins.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Green Anaconda: A green anaconda can weigh twice as much as the pterosaur.  Anacondas are excellent ambush predators, but are poor face-to-face fighters on land against similar-sized animals due to their limited mobility and stamina.  The pterosaur will be able to deliver effective beak strikes into the anaconda's body, and the snake's options will be limited.  The anaconda will have a better chance to prevail in shallow water (mobility and stamina will be greatly increased), but may not be able to avoid the beak strikes at every turn.  While the anaconda will be favored in deeper water, being on land or in shallow water will expose it to the pterosaur's offense too easily.  Edge to pterosaur.

Pterodactyl (pterosaur) vs Great White Shark: A great white shark can weigh 25 times as much as the pterosaur.  The pterosaur can only engage a great white shark while gliding above it over the water, and it won't have the strength or precision to attempt any effective beak strikes against the huge fish.  Great white sharks have tough skin (many scales) and tremendously dangerous jaws with many razor-sharp teeth.  It ability to leap above the water's surface in the commission of an attack means it can easily snatch the flying reptile from the air if it gets close enough.  Great white shark wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.