Interspecies Conflict/Moose vs Cape Buffalo

Hi again BK, who would win between a Moose and a Cape Buffalo?

Thank You

Hello Trish.

Moose vs Cape buffalo: The moose will have a slight weight advantage on some occasions, but a maximum-sized Cape buffalo can weigh close to a ton, which is 400lbs more than a large bull moose.  The moose will be well over a foot taller at the shoulder than the Cape buffalo, but the buffalo's wide, stout build will make it difficult for the cervid to overpower.  The bovid's thick horns are deadly weapons, and can be driven into an opponent with great effect.  Cape buffalo are well-practiced at conflict with dangerous animals (especially lions and hyenas), and can be highly dangerous to any predator that attacks them.  The moose has wide antlers that serve it better as a shield or a plow than a weapon that causes significant damage (although the points on the antlers can cause wounds), and battles between males usually involve an antler-pushing contest (although areas on the body may be struck).  They are sometimes attacked by bears and wolves, but healthy adult moose are typically left alone due to their great size, large antlers (occasionally exceeding 5ft across), and sharp hooves.  A moose can be formidable (fights between 2 males can be violent), but it's not quite on the same level as a Cape buffalo.  The moose (or any other cervid) will likely need a decent weight advantage (probably at least 33%) to consistently compete against many of the larger bovids.  A Cape buffalo will have greater power upon contact, and its horns can cause deeper injuries than the moose's antlers can.  Cape buffalo wins.

Good matchup!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.