Interspecies Conflict/Interspecies Conflict

Hi BK!

1. My question was that in case of a strong man and a game bred and trained Bully Kutta, who would win. Actually we have a Bully Kutta in our farm and I was thinking that if he got into a fight with an intruder, who would win? Somehow, I got into a conclusion that a dog is not capable enough to stop a strong determined human because of the obvious differences in physical attributes and mentality. A human is a huge animal! He stands 5.11", 6.0' tall and has hurd punches, knees and kicks. Moreover, he has brain and will likely gouge out a dog's eyes and can decimate him with kicks or punches. But a dog has a stupider mind and only has one weapon, it's jaws and I'm sure a domestic dog's bite force is nothing compared to his wild cousins like wolves, African painted dogs etc. I'd say that for a threat like jackals, mongoose or wild dogs, the domestic dog is a good guardian. But for a man, dogs are inadequate and only a man is capable.
In short who would win in this fight, a typical gangster type man vs a game bred and game trained Bully Kutta. The scenerio is that the dog is guarding his hometrack and the man is an intruder who is determined to get into the house.

2. The same gangster vs a male guard donkey

2. In smaller dogs, the pitbulls is the best fighter, but in large dogs, who is the best fighter? Bully Kutta or Tosa? Plus a Bully Kutta breeder once told me that Tosa's cannot damage other dogs because they only wrestle each other whereas a Bully destroys the adversary! But he did concede that the Kangal is a good match for the Bully.

3. Which shark is stronger pound for pound? GWS or Tiger shark?

4. Bull Shark vs Cuban Croc

5. Nile croc vs Brown Bear

Hello Jem.  Good to hear from you again.

gangster-type man vs trained Bully Kutta: A large Bully Kutta can weigh more than a large man.  Many gangsters rely on weapons when they engage in conflicts, but many can be strong and experienced at fighting without weapons.  However, while it is possible for a human to gain experience (through training or repetition of the action) in fighting another human, gaining experience fighting a dog isn't something that can be accomplished easily.  Most dogs are stronger than humans pound-for-pound, and their bodies are usually a bit tougher.  An unarmed human may have the ability to punch and kick well, but these and other skills that can be acquired by a human won't easily match the weaponry (strong jaws, sharp teeth) of a large dog.  The intensity of a trained dog's attack won't be handled well by most humans (even ones with strong mental discipline and focus), and their bodies won't hold up well to the biting and tearing that will ensue.  A dog, even a large one, will have greater lateral quickness than most humans, and will be able to launch an attack before many can prepare a defense.  A large trained Bully Kutta will repel most gangster-type men in this scenario.

gangster-type man vs male guard donkey: This depends somewhat on the donkey itself.  There are several types of donkeys that can be used, and there's not a particular breed of donkey that will make a good guardian across the board.  Some donkeys are protective of the area in which they live, some are specifically dog-aggressive, some will not acknowledge certain threats, and some will bray when an intruder approaches but take no further action.  It's possible a gangster-type man may approach a donkey and be ignored, and it's possible he may get kicked.  One donkey may have a puzzled reaction upon being attacked and not defend itself, while another may launch an aggressive counter-attack.  A large donkey can weigh several times as much as an adult male human, and will likely be much stronger pound-for-pound.  If a guard donkey regards the gangster as a threat and immediately moves in to confront him, it will easily be able to repel or dispatch him with a bevy of kicks.  Simply put, the donkey will easily win if it wants to win.

Q: In large dogs, who is the best fighter?  Bully Kutta or Tosa?
A: These 2 dogs are near the top in regards to canine combat at absolute weights (more at the top are the Gull Dong, Presa Canario, Caucasian Ovcharka, Boerboel, Kangal, American Bulldog and others).  The Bully Kutta is a powerful dog with a straight-forward attack style while the agile Tosa can be trained to be more of a "wrestler" that skillfully forces opponents into a vulnerable position.  The Tosa doesn't just hold an opponent down - it will certainly bite anything that is trying to bite it.  A Tosa can approach 80-90kg in weight, but the optimal fighting weight for this breed is a much smaller 40-55kg range.  A 90kg Tosa won't be as adept at fighting as a 55kg one (too much weight = possibly sluggish dog), but its larger size will make it a reasonably formidable opponent for a Bully Kutta.  A Bully Kutta can operate reasonably well at 70-80kg, but can weigh more on occasion.  You can have good representations of each breed that will prevail in a conflict against the other, and it's a very close matchup with all things considered.  I believe the Tosa will prevail more times than not at close weights as long as the Tosa isn't too heavy, but the outcome may change from individual to individual.  Most breeders of a certain dog will tell you their dog is the best, especially if their dog is from the area.  They may be right on occasion; they may be wrong on occasion.  It can be hard to be objective when the dog you breed is one you've grown to love.  Slight overall edge to Tosa.   

Q: Which shark is stronger pound for pound? GWS or Tiger shark?
A: I'm not sure here.  I've seen great whites breach the surface of the water which likely requires a lot of power (strength + speed = power), but it's not as easy to calculate the strength of an aquatic animal as it is a terrestrial one.  The tiger shark seems to be a bit more slender (comparing length to body height ratio), and that can sometimes be an indicator of less strength if the body seems designed for greater speed.  I would guess the great white shark is stronger than the tiger shark pound-for-pound, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

bull shark vs Cuban croc: The bull shark will have a small weight advantage here.  The bull shark's main weapon is its jaws, which are lined with very sharp teeth.  The Cuban crocodile is armed with pointed teeth and the mighty jaw pressure shared by crocodilians, and its body is largely covered in bony growths called osteoderms.  The crocodile seems to have better protection, but the shark's numerous small scales overlap to make a tough hide for it as well.  A crocodile usually has a big advantage in the water over a similar-sized animal if that animal is terrestrial, but that advantage isn't nearly as profound against many aquatic animals.  A crocodile's bite will be damaging only to the more slender areas of the bull shark that protrude from its body (fins, snout), but the teeth aren't going to cause a great deal of injury by simply clamping onto a thicker area of the fish's body.  The bull shark's teeth won't penetrate the thicker parts of the crocodile's armor, but will slice into areas on its underbelly and limbs.  A big key in water battles is mobility, and the bull shark's will be a bit greater in open water.  The bull shark won't lose too much of this advantage in shallow water because it often lurks in shallow water.  With both animals being ambush predators, they may ignore one another if aware of each other's presence.  Edge to bull shark.

Nile croc vs brown bear: This depends on which brown bear we use and where the fight takes place.  The largest of brown bears can weigh 680kg or more, and the largest Nile crocodiles can exceed 900kg.  A Nile crocodile doesn't encounter brown bears, but can use ambush to pull animals of similar size into the water to drown.  However, a brown bear will fight back differently than a typical prey item (herbivore).  Brown bears have great endurance and strength, and their coarse hairs offer some protection from many attacks.  They have strong bites and paw swipes (4" claws), and can use their forelimbs to control the movement of an opponent in some situations.  A crocodile doesn't have great stamina or mobility on land, and a the reptile won't easily be able to overcome a large brown bear simply by clamping onto it with its jaws.  The thick body of the bear won't have many targets to effectively bite, and the bear's claws can cause a lot of damage in a counter-attack.  In shallow water the crocodile will have much greater mobility and stamina, and will have a much better chance of outmaneuvering the bear.  In deep water the Nile crocodile will have a distinct advantage, as the brown bear won't be able to apply its offense with great effectiveness (it can't "base" itself to strike strongly with its paws, and it won't have the mobility or quickness to get into the position it wants to be in) and won't be able to defend itself from the crocodile's attempts to seize it and pull it under for the same reasons.  A brown bear weighing at around 2/3 of the crocodile's weight can contend with it on land, but a brown bear will likely need a decent weight advantage to contend with it in shallow water.  A crocodile weighing a ton or more will typically have little to fear from a brown bear in shallow or deep water.  

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.