Interspecies Conflict/varied

Question
hi there bk.never asked you this question before i don't think.  90kg male leopard vs 20ft green anaconda on land and in shallow water.and let's say the green anaconda was the envasive species in florida do you think it would become the top predator over the american alligator?and lastly bk just one last question on the silverback vs human.but have you ever heard of angus macaskill?i have been reading about some of his feats of strength.now i'm a bit skeptical of some of these supposed stories.so if they where true maybe he would be a match for silverback gorilla?thank you once again bk.

Answer
Hello Chris.

90kg male leopard vs 20ft green anaconda (on land): The anaconda will weigh approximately twice as much as the leopard.  Leopards are very skilled hunters that take on large and sometimes dangerous prey animals from time-to-time.  Wildebeest, warthogs, and even zebra are targeted by the leopard.  This cat has a very muscular head and shoulder area, and its limbs are powerful as well.  The leopard can haul prey items into trees to keep from losing them to lions and hyenas.  It is one of the strongest big cats pound-for-pound, and occasionally skirmishes with formidable adversaries (spotted hyenas, baboons, lions, etc.).  The leopard's agility, quickness, athleticism, weaponry (jaws and claws), and finishing know-how are its chief assets in a confrontation with another animal.  The green anaconda is the heaviest snake in the world.  It is an ambush predator that can seize an unsuspecting animal in its jaws (filled with backward-pointing teeth) and wrap its mighty coils tightly around the victim to suffocate it.  The power in an anaconda's coils is sufficient enough to asphyxiate an animal close to double the snake's own weight, but smaller prey (like the capybara) is commonly targeted.  The leopard is no stranger to dealing with constrictors (African rock python) and the green anaconda is no stranger to dealing with big cats (jaguar).  The green anaconda has limited mobility and stamina on land, and isn't a very good fighter when face-to-face with an adversary (especially when that adversary has decent mobility).  The leopard can certainly slip up and be killed by an anaconda on land, but the physical abilities of the cat should keep that from occurring on most occasions.  Edge to leopard.   

90kg male leopard vs 20ft green anaconda (in shallow water): Moving this battle to shallow water will definitely shift the balance of power.  The green anaconda will have much greater mobility and speed in the water, and its stamina will be greatly improved as well.  The leopard will still be an effective fighter as long as the water isn't too deep to impede its movements, but it won't be as experienced as the jaguar is at dispatching reptiles.  The green anaconda will have a sizeable strength advantage, and the leopard will be on the defensive soon after the battle begins.  A bite by the leopard on the spine or head of the anaconda can disable it and grant victory to the cat, but the anaconda will be in its element and have a much better chance to win.  A big cat is a good matchup for a constrictor in shallow water at equal weights, but here the green anaconda will have too much of a size advantage.  A similar question was asked by you back on 9/21/13 ("varied") that pitted a large male leopard against a 20ft green anaconda.  Edge to green anaconda.

Q: Let's say the green anaconda was the invasive species in Florida do you think it would become the top predator over the American alligator?
A: The green anaconda would be a formidable adversary, but it probably wouldn't move ahead of the American alligator as the top predator.  An American alligator can weigh over twice as much as a green anaconda, and will be able to hunt larger prey as well as hold its own in a battle with the huge snake.  An anaconda can physically asphyxiate animals close to an American alligator's size with its powerful coils, but the alligator will be much harder to kill than a typical warm-blooded prey item will be.  The jaws of the alligator have an extremely high bite force, and this bite can damage the skull or spinal column of the anaconda if the right place is bitten.  The American alligator's greater size, armored hide, and enormous bite will keep it higher on the totem pole than the green anaconda, but both will be considered top predators.

Angus MacAskill vs silverback gorilla: The silverback gorilla will weigh slightly more than Angus MacAskill.  I've heard of Angus MacAskill before, and understand he was a very tall, strong man.  The stories of his many feats of strength are quite impressive, and he may have been one of the strongest men ever to live.  But as you mentioned, they're only stories, and their validity is debatable.  Even if he did indeed do all of the things the stories say he did, he would still fall short of a silverback gorilla in terms of brute strength.  Silverback gorillas are male gorillas (typically age 12 or so) that are in charge of the troop.  They will defend it with their lives.  Gorillas aren't normally aggressive; they are usually peaceful and non-confrontational.  However, they have powerful arms (that span over 2.5m wide) that can be used to grab, pull, and strike adversaries.  The gorilla's upper canines measure 5cm long, and its bite force is very high.  Angus MacAskill may have been more than a match for any other human of his day, but he would not have fared well against a gorilla if the ape wanted to hurt him.  The silverback gorilla's strength and mobility would greatly exceed Angus MacAskill's, and its reach would be superior as well.  The gorilla would have little trouble overpowering the human and landing damaging bites on his body.  I would probably favor Angus MacAskill against a chimpanzee or perhaps even an orangutan on occasion, but not against a silverback gorilla.  Silverback gorilla wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK