Interspecies Conflict/Wild Boar vs Kangaroo

Hello  Bk who would win between a kangaroo and a wild boar?

Also could a leopard kill a lion through ambush?

Hello Gian.

kangaroo vs wild boar: The largest kangaroo, the red kangaroo, will weigh about 45% of a wild boar's weight.  The boar's shoulder height will be approximately 60% of the kangaroo's entire height, but this can vary from animal-to-animal.  All kangaroos have very powerful back legs that enable them to leap amazingly well and travel rapidly along the ground in a bounding motion.  Its legs can also be used to deliver a very strong kick (the kangaroo balances itself with its tail to do this) to defend itself from enemies or battle other kangaroos.  The power of a kangaroo's kick and the claws on its feet can cause considerable damage to an attacker.  The kangaroo's forepaws can also be an asset in a conflict, as they can assist in holding and grabbing.  A wild boar is a hardy animal with a tough hide and good lateral quickness.  It is armed with very sharp tusks that can slice and gouge into the body of an adversary with great effect.  Many animals across the world (tigers, wolves, bears, etc.) prey upon wild boars, but these suids can be very dangerous quarry for any predator.  The chief predator of a kangaroo is the dingo.  A kangaroo doesn't have great mobility, but can turn well enough to keep a nimble dingo at bay.  However, a wild boar weighs 10 times as much as a dingo, and will offer much greater offense and defense in a battle with a kangaroo.  Once the wild boar clears the initial kick attempts by the kangaroo, it will close in quickly to attack any exposed area on the marsupial with its lethal tusks.  A red kangaroo will have a decent chance of defending itself against a wild boar close to its own weight, but a wild boar weighing over twice as much as it does will simply be too formidable a foe.  The wild boar will have the size and quickness to launch an attack that the kangaroo won't be equipped to adequately react to.  Wild boar wins.

Q: Could a leopard kill a lion through ambush?
A: A male lion can weigh over 2 1/2 times as much as a leopard.  A male lion averages 181kg or more and maxes out at 250kg.  A male leopard averages between 60kg and 70kg, and maxes out at close to 91kg.  Leopards are amazing predators that are capable of successfully ambushing prey items much larger than themselves.  Their powerful limbs and sharp claws make it possible to grip tightly to the ambushed victim and work themselves into a position (by advancing their body toward the neck area of the prey item or by forcing the prey item to the ground) to land a suffocating throat bite with their vice-like jaws.  Although the muscular neck and shoulder area of the leopard is certainly an asset in completing this action, the build of the prey item also comes into play.  When a wildebeest, topi, or warthog is seized by a leopard and gripped around the throat in the manner described, the herbivore doesn't have a solid way to defend itself.  The most perilous part of a leopard's attack (to the leopard itself) is the initial charge itself or the "plan B" part if the initial ambush fails (the leopard may be vulnerable to a counter-attack before it can get itself composed).  Once a leopard gets into that favorable position where its paws are holding the prey item securely and its jaws are locked onto the prey item's neck, the prey item can't defend itself well.  It will struggle to move around in hopes of dislodging the predator, but this is often in vain.  Its horns, tusks, or hooves won't be of much help because the prey item won't be in a position to easily create separation to use its weaponry, and its body will be too "stiff" to enable it to counter-attack.  For example, a topi's legs can't bend to kick a leopard once the leopard has it on the ground, and a warthog's tusks can't readily stab a leopard that is latched onto its throat.  Ambushing a lion will be a completely different matter.  Lions, like leopards, have very supple bodies that can easily turn and twist.  A leopard ambushing a lion and seizing it by the throat will not be able to move to a safe position at any point in its attack.  The lion will be able to counter-attack with its claws or jaws either by turning, twisting, or rolling to put the leopard in range of these weapons.  A lion's leg can bend and turn much better than the leg of a wildebeest, topi, warthog, or other typical herbivore.  The cat's reaction time will likely be much greater as well.  The lion will easily be able to make the powerful movements necessary to force the leopard into range of its claws and jaws, and will quickly dispatch the leopard from that point.  In short, a leopard ambushing a lion will be suicide.  The leopard's powerful jaws give it the physical ability to complete the action necessary to eventually asphyxiate an animal the size of a lion by clamping onto its throat, but only if the lion stands still and allows the leopard to do it.  Predators like big cats have evolved to ambush and overpower various prey animals, but not a large animal built similar to themselves.

Good questions!  

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.