Interspecies Conflict/Leopard vs T rex

Hi Bk if a leopard and a T rex were the same size and they did battle who would win?

Hello Gian.

Q: If a leopard and a T rex were the same size and they did battle who would win?
A: At equal weights the leopard's shoulder height will be about 55% of the Tyrannosaurus' total height (if it stands upright) and about 85% of the Tyrannosaurus' height at its hips (which was likely the highest point of the dinosaur when it walked).  Leopards are among the strongest of the big cats pound-for-pound (presumably 2nd to the jaguar), and these cats have very muscular bodies (especially in the neck, shoulder, and limbs).  Leopards can use their claws and powerful bodies to haul heavy prey items into trees while securing the meal in their mouths.  The leopard, being a solitary hunter, isn't too keen on fighting another dangerous animal because it may impede the cat's ability to hunt.  However, it will do so more readily than the relatively fragile cheetah.  Although a leopard can defeat a hyena or a baboon in a fight, it will often back down to these formidable adversaries unless the situation makes doing so a necessity.  Because of the many other predators a leopard encounters and the ability of many of the animals it hunts to defend themselves well (like wildebeest, warthogs, etc.), the leopard can be considered a practiced fighter.  The Tyrannosaurus is the most famous and fearsome of the predatory dinosaurs.  Its huge skull was about 5ft in length, and its incredibly powerful jaws were full of sharp teeth (some measuring over 6" in length).  The deep-rooted teeth were thick and sturdy, and its bite was likely several times stronger than the largest alligators and crocodiles of today.  Although it may have scavenged from time-to-time, Tyrannosaurus was probably an effective hunter.  It preyed upon other dinosaurs that were quite capable of fighting back (ceratopsians like Triceratops, ankylosaurs, etc.) so it was no stranger to conflict.  A battle between a leopard and a Tyrannosaurus at equal weights will have advantages for both participants.  The leopard will have greater speed, agility, and mobility.  The Tyrannosaurus will have the best weapon involved (its bone-crushing jaws).  A leopard is definitely capable of bringing down a herbivore weighing much than it does, and even though the Tyrannosaurus will be well-based (sturdy legs and tail for balance & support), the leopard should be able to pull it down as well.  Once the leopard succeeds in toppling the Tyrannosaurus, it can apply a throat bite and eventually asphyxiate the dinosaur.  Simply swiping and clawing at the Tyrannosaurus will put the leopard at risk because a single bite can potentially have a profound effect on the cat and possibly disable it.  If the leopard uses its lateral quickness and fantastic reflexes to avoid the jaws of the Tyrannosaurus and attack it like it would a prey item, it should be able to overcome the reptile on most occasions.  The key for the leopard will be getting into a position of safety once making contact with the dinosaur and forcing the dinosaur to the ground without receiving too many deep bites.  It should be able to prevail on most occasions.  Leopard wins.          

Best regards

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.