Interspecies Conflict/New Ones

Hello again BK here are some new animal fights.

Gorilla vs Big Horned Sheep

Wildebeest vs Giant Anteater

Walrus vs Moose

American Bison vs Elephant Seal

Thank You

Hello Gian.

Gorilla vs Big Horned Sheep: The bighorn sheep will be about 60% of the gorilla's weight.  Gorillas are strong primates with long arms (spanning close to 8.5ft) and powerful bites (with long upper canines).  Males gorillas defend their troops from other gorillas on a fairly regular basis, but aren't practiced at dealing with other species in combat.  The gorilla has the physical ability to easily overpower the bighorn sheep, but it won't have the experience to effectively do so.  Bighorn sheep have large curved horns that can weigh 30lb, and use these to engage in headbutting battles with other males (in which the horns of the combatants collide with a great deal of force).  The bighorn sheep may try to headbutt the gorilla (and this can injure the ape), but the grabbing & biting the gorilla will be instinctively doing to counter this will likely knock the sheep over.  Neither animal is typically aggressive without being provoked, and any realistic confrontation might be much ado about nothing.  Because of the greater size & strength the gorilla brings to the table, it will probably find itself in a more advantageous position than the bighorn sheep as the battle goes on.  Gorilla wins.

Wildebeest vs Giant Anteater: A wildebeest can weigh over 4 times as much as a large giant anteater.  Wildebeests are sturdy antelopes with ox-like horns approaching 2.5ft in length.  They commonly deal with predators like lions, leopards, hyenas, African hunting dogs, & crocodiles.  Wildebeests primarily use their horns to defend themselves, but their hooves can be potentially dangerous as well.  Anteaters are armed with long, sharp claws that can cause serious damage to an opponent.  They usually raise up to better swipe with these claws, and are adept at facing their attackers (usually jaguars & pumas).  As dangerous as a giant anteater can be, it will have trouble against the much larger wildebeest.  Realistically, of course, these 2 animals would not pay much attention to one another if they shared a habitat, but any hypothetical battle will favor the larger and more mobile antelope.  Wildebeest wins.

Walrus vs Moose: A walrus can weigh over 2 1/2 times as much as a moose. Walruses have extremely tough hides that offer them good protection from attack.  They also have tusks measuring 3ft in length, and these can be used to defend themselves (walruses occasionally fare quite well against attacking polar bears). The moose is the largest and most powerfully built of the deer family.  It has an impressive set of antlers that can be used as a barrier or a plow against an adversary, and it can drive forward with a lot of force.  The tines on the edges of the antlers are sharp, and cause injury.  A walrus doesn't have great mobility on land, but can thrust its tusks toward anything that comes close.  The more mobile moose will be able to ram into the walrus with its antlers, but this won't likely cause significant damage to the walrus' tough hide.  The pinniped will be much stronger than the cervid, and any close-quarters combat will put the moose in peril.  Edge to walrus.

American Bison vs Elephant Seal: An Southern elephant seal can weigh close to 4 times as much an an American bison.  Bison have robust shoulder & neck areas (the weight of the bovid in front of the shoulders is close to the weight behind the shoulders).  American bison fight by headbutting with their massive heads, and hooking/driving their horns into an opponent's body (usually the side).  They also defend themselves (from time-to-time) from wolves and bears.  Elephant seals fight by posturing up (face-to-face) and forcefully thrusting forward with their upper bodies to deliver bites.  These encounters can cause bloody wounds.  A battle on land will be reasonably close, as the elephant seal will have the size/strength advantage and the American bison will have the mobility/weaponry advantage.  It will be difficult for the elephant seal to use its advantages unless the bison is standing directly in front of it, and the bison can inflict injury if it makes several attacks while staying out of range of the pinniped's bite and massive body weight.  The elephant seal can actually knock the bison over (and possibly crush it) if significant contact is made, but the bison may have greater means to injure the seal than the other way around if the encounter is entirely on land.  The elephant seal will probably drive the smaller bison away in a realistic encounter, and a battle in shallow water will favor the seal.  I would favor a bison over a Northern elephant seal (less than 2/3 the weight of a Southern elephant seal) on land, but the larger Southern elephant seal will pose more of a challenge.  If the bison is determined and careful, it can win, but most battles will end with bison relenting after strong resistance from the seal.  Close to 50/50 overall, depends on how you look at it.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.