Interspecies Conflict/Caucasian Ovcharka vs Pitbull

Question

I have seen the debate of "Caucasian Ovcharka vs. Pitbull" many times and I am very curious what is an expert's opinion on this subject.

Before I start, I want to say that I do not condone dog fights and I apologize to anyone who might get offended by my question. Also, I would like to apologize for any English mistakes, since it is not my native language.

Now, on to the fight:

I. The dogs:

1. Caucasian Ovcharka (CO):

Born and raised in the cold and harsh conditions of the Ural Mountains. He is a strong male, with above average weight and no serious injuries. During his life it had to fight and kill wolves, defend the livestock against bears, fight the previous pack leader as well as other dogs. He constantly gets involved in small fights with other dogs, for food, during the mating season, etc...

2. Pit bull (PB):

Raised as a fighting dog. He is an above average male like the CO. During his life it fought and defeated many other dogs in the pit, he is a champion (if there is such a thing). This dog has the definition of gameness. Also, he didn't suffered any serious injuries during his fights.

II.  The scenarios:

1. A pro-Pit Bull scenario:

The fight takes place in a relatively small pit. The temperature is pretty warm. The Pit bull has done this all his life, it knows what he is doing and he will fight until he dies if he has to.
The CO has never seen a pit before, also the temperature might be a little bit too high for his thick fur. He might be confused and even scared by all the people, the unfamiliar setting, etc...

2. A fair scenario:

A flat terrain that the CO considers his territory so he gets all worked up in defending it. The PB owner prepares his dog as for any other fight. The two dogs charge each other and none has any particular advantage, the temperature is good for both of them, the place is not too crowded, nor to opened, etc...

3. A pro-CO scenario:

I had to add this third scenario too,for the sake of symmetry:

With well below 0 Celsius temperatures and heavy snows. The CO spots the PB closing in to the livestock and it attacks it.

III.  My personal (somehow educated) opinion:

1. Could go either way. The CO might overpower the PB in the first minutes but than it would stop considering he proved his point and expecting the PB to back off as dogs usually do when fighting for dominance. At this point the PB can strike and take the CO by surprise.
Anyhow, I am really curious what you think.

2. The CO has the power, the weight and the biting force. If the dogs are allowed to run for even a few meters the CO would build way more kinetic energy which would help him when the two dogs would collide.
Over all, the thick fur, the strength, weight and bite force of the CO let the PB with no advantages and the CO would probably kill him within minutes.

3. As I said, I had to add the third scenario for the sake of symmetry. The PB would not stand a chance. I am willing to bet that the CO would not even perceive the PB as a threat, more like free food.

So, let me know what you think about this and if you have similar opinions as mines and also please tell me if you find it OK if I ask BK too the same question when he is back, I just want to have as many opinions as possible.

Thank you very much for your time

Answer
Hello Vlad.

Your question was sent to the question pool; hope you don't mind if I answer it for you.

The Caucasian Ovcharka is a large, powerful dog with a broad (but short) muzzle.  This thick-furred canine is used as a livestock guardian and has been used in Russian prisons.  Caucasian Ovcharkas can be combative & ferocious.  An APBT (when game-bred) is the supreme combatant (pound-for-pound) of the canine world, and is a serious adversary for anything in its weight range (not just other dogs, but any animal).  They have strength, athleticism, endurance, durability, tenacity, & strong jaws that make them very formidable.  While I favor the APBT over any other dog at parity, the fact that the Caucasian Ovcharka can be close to 3 times as heavy makes this a very interesting matchup.

* Check out the entry titled "Dogs" from 3/13/14 for my opinion on how the APBT would fare against other types of dogs. *

Here is a question I answered a while back (12/11/13) for a matchup between an American Pit Bull Terrier and a Central Asian Ovcharka.  While I realize the Caucasian Ovcharka and the Central Asian Ovcharka are 2 different dogs, they are relatively close in fighting prowess and my assessment may interest you:

"American Pit Bull Terrier vs Central Asian Ovcharka:  The American pit bull terrier is probably among the most formidable dogs pound-for-pound, and usually weighs around 65lb.  It is extremely strong, relentless, & durable.  It attacks by rushing in to land a bite (usually on the neck or face), and not letting go.  If it isn't outweighed, it will use its muscular body to violently shake its head side-to-side to increase the damage caused by its jaws.  Even if it is injured during a confrontation, it will continue to battle savagely.  The Central Asian Ovcharka is a very large, powerful dog with a wide head & blunt muzzle.  It has been used to guard livestock, and defend the flock from animals like bears & wolves.  It won't back down from a conflict, and is often dog-aggressive.  The CAO has great endurance, and can weigh well over 150lb.  The APBT has the ability to defeat most dogs well above its weight range, but a much larger, skilled dog can present problems for it.  Many dogs weighing over 150lb would be overpowered by the strength & ferocity of the American pit bull terrier, but the Central Asian Ovcharka isn't one of them.  The CAO will have the moxie to battle the APBT at a high level, and use its own strength & larger bite to keep from getting overwhelmed.  A small handful of dogs the size of the CAO would be favored against a APBT, and the CAO itself is right on the cusp of being one of them.  The athletic APBT can wear down most larger dogs with its unrelenting attack & great power, but the endurance of the CAO will allow it to hang in there & counter-attack effectively enough to have a chance to prevail.  The Central Asian Ovcharka may not be as skilled (pound-for-pound) in canine combat as as American pit bull terrier, but its skill level (combined with the fact it can weigh over 2.5 times as much as the APBT) is high enough to favor it over the pitbull more times than not.  Edge to the Central Asian Ovtcharka."

I consider the Caucasian Ovcharka to be a small cut above the Central Asian Ovcharka (even at equal weights).  At absolute weights, there are very few dogs I would favor over a Caucasian Ovcharka (maybe 3 or 4, if that).

----- scenario #1 -----

A pro-Pit Bull scenario: The fight takes place in a relatively small pit. The temperature is pretty warm. The Pit bull has done this all his life, it knows what he is doing and he will fight until he dies if he has to.  The CO has never seen a pit before, also the temperature might be a little bit too high for his thick fur. He might be confused and even scared by all the people, the unfamiliar setting, etc...

The American Pit Bull Terrier will have the "home court advantage" here, and the Caucasian Ovcharka won't be on top of its game.  The unfamiliar setting will likely have a small effect on the Ovcharka's mentality, but the warm temperature will have the most profound effect on this thick-furred dog.  Caucasian Ovcharkas are right at home sleeping in deep snow, so being forced to do battle in warm surrounding will cause one to burn up.  Its stamina will probably be significantly compromised, and the APBT will not relent in its attack.  It is quite possible the Caucasian Ovcharka dominates the early portion of this fight due to its greater size & power, but it will wear down quickly.  There are different levels of "gameness" in dogs (and it's a generational process to create a truly game-bred dog), and an APBT that is truly game poses a lot of problems due to its unrelenting attack (that remains at a high level throughout a fight), its durability, and its brazen defiance of pain.  Edge to American Pit Bull Terrier.

----- scenario #2 -----

A fair scenario: A flat terrain that the CO considers his territory so he gets all worked up in defending it. The PB owner prepares his dog as for any other fight. The two dogs charge each other and none has any particular advantage, the temperature is good for both of them, the place is not too crowded, nor to opened, etc...

American Pit Bull Terriers have proven their mettle against larger dogs throughout the years, but giving up a lot of weight to another skilled fighting dog has to be considered.  The Caucasian Ovcharka won't be encumbered by heat in this scenario, and will match its huge bite and ferocity against the American Pit Bull Terrier's tenacity and athleticism.  The APBT will have greater endurance, but will likely suffer too much damage before that advantage comes into play.  Either dog is capable of defeating the other, but more times than not the Caucasian Ovcharka will come out on top.

----- scenario #3 -----

A pro-CO scenario: With well below 0 Celsius temperatures and heavy snows. The CO spots the PB closing in to the livestock and it attacks it.

I don't think the cold will affect the American Pit Bull Terrier in the opening minutes of the fight as much as the heat (in scenario #1) will affect the Caucasian Ovcharka.  Only when the cold actually begins to affect the biological functions of the APBT will it have an adverse effect.  Until that point, the APBT will ignore the cold and battle just as powerfully as it would in scenarios #1 and #2.  However, the Caucasian Ovcharka will now have the "home field advantage", and its drive to defend & destroy will be greater in this scenario than in the first 2.  The result will be the same as scenario #2 (edge to Ovcharka), but the larger dog may take less time to achieve victory.

* No dog will beat any other dog every time.  Depends a lot on the individual dog.  There are good and bad representations of every breed, so nothing is written in stone. *

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK