Interspecies Conflict/Moo,Hear That?The Cows Are Stampeding This Way,Abandon Farm!

Hello again Bk its nice to be talking to you again on this nice Saturday night and I'm glad your liking my titles.So lets get down to it.

Jaguar vs Sumatran Tiger

Nile Crocodile vs Bull Shark

Green Anaconda vs Russian Wild Boar

Black Bear vs Lion

Spotted Hyena vs Ostrich

Elephant Seal vs 3 Leopards

Leopard vs cougar

Walrus vs Gray Wolf Pack

Gorilla vs Kangaroo

Giraffe vs Yak

Thank You

Hello Trish.  Good to hear from you again.

Jaguar vs Sumatran Tiger: These animals will be close in weight.  Both cats have the typical felid assets (speed, agility, jaws & claws, killing know-how), but have different builds & different preferred finishing techniques.  The jaguar will be slightly stronger than the tiger (jaguars are generally considered to be the strongest felids pound-for-pound), and will have a stockier build with shorter legs.  Jaguars are the reptile-killing experts of the big cat world, and typically dispatch them & other prey items with a powerful bite to the skull (or back of the neck).  The bite force of a jaguar is the strongest among big cats in proportion to its size, and the jaws can crush turtle shells & penetrate caiman armor.  Sumatran tigers typically kill with a throat bite (as with most big cats).  A "swipe war" would likely favor the tiger (will be slightly faster & have a reach advantage), but a physical battle for positioning will likely favor the jaguar.  The jaguar's unique (and more diversified) finishing method will be easier to employ than the tiger's throat bite (which has a more specified target area).  Jaguars in the Pantanal region can exceed the weight of the tiger.  A jaguar is slightly favored at parity, but any Sumatran tiger with a reasonable weight advantage (which can certainly occur) will probably win.  

Nile Crocodile vs Bull Shark: The Nile crocodile will weigh over twice as much as the bull shark (almost 3 times as much is some cases).  The bull shark will have greater mobility in open water, and will have the means to breach some areas on the crocodile's armored hide (with large jaws full of razor-sharp teeth).  However, the Nile crocodile will be much larger, and its bite can pose problems for the shark.  The jaws of a crocodilian aren't as effective against aquatic animals as they are against a herbivore at the water's edge, but they can still be a major asset.  I typically favor a shark over a crocodile at parity, but not against one over twice its weight.  Nile crocodile wins.

Green Anaconda vs Russian Wild Boar: A Russian wild boar will typically weigh a bit more than a green anaconda, but a large one can weigh almost twice as much. Anacondas are excellent ambush hunters, but are poor fighters on land when face-to-face with a large opponent.  The anaconda is certainly capable of constricting a wild boar, but it will have trouble pulling this off without a surprise attack.  The wild boar's sharp tusks can slice open the anaconda, and the suid's tough hide might make it difficult for the constrictor to latch on securely with its jaws (to create an anchoring point) without the struggles of the boar pulling it off.  The anaconda's endurance on land is quite poor, and any prolonged struggle will render it unable to continue any offense.  The wild boar will be in trouble if it allows the coiling process to start (it won't be able to free itself), but should have enough mobility & weaponry to defend itself from this.  The anaconda would fare much better in shallow water (where its mobility & endurance will be greatly improved), but may still have difficulty if the boar is too big.  Russian wild boar wins.

Black Bear vs Lion: The black bear will weigh about 10% more than the lion.  Black bears aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as the more robust, aggressive brown bear, but they are still strong animals with great endurance.  African lions are the fighters of the big cat world (against other male lions), but they do not cross paths with any bear in nature.  However, the lion's superior agility, quickness, & finishing experience (against large animals) will serve it well against the black bear (which is omnivorous & doesn't usually tangle with large animals).  The sturdy, durable bear will certainly have a chance, and this will be a close fight, but the lion brings too much to the table.  Lion wins.

Spotted Hyena vs Ostrich: The ostrich will be double the hyena's weight.  An ostrich defends itself with powerful kicks from its sharp claws (two on each foot, long like spikes).  One kick could seriously wound a hyena.  The hyena would need to circle the bird (ostriches can only kick forward) and try to lunge in with a strong bite on one of its legs.  If it succeeds, it can hold on with relative safety and eventually bring the bird down.  However, the hyena is somewhat clumsy and has sub-par lateral quickness, so it won't be able to avoid getting kicked on most occasions.  It can't jump on the ostrich (which is usually required by a predator tackling an ostrich), and it doesn't have claws to aid it.  A big hyena could pull it off on occasion, but most ostrich vs hyena face-offs will strongly favor the bird.  Ostrich wins.

Elephant Seal vs 3 Leopards: A Southern elephant seal can weigh as much as 40 leopards, and a Northern elephant seal can weigh as much as 25 leopards.  Elephant seals fight by posturing up (face-to-face) and forcefully thrusting forward with their upper bodies to deliver bites.  These encounters can cause bloody wounds.  Elephant seals can be very aggressive, and don't shy away from combat.  Leopards are among the strongest felids pound-for-pound (it is generally accepted that it is second only to the jaguar), and are very accomplished predators.  These cats have amazing agility & power, and have very developed shoulder muscles that enable them to drag large prey items high into the trees.  An elephant seal will have some mobility issues against 3 leopards on land, but any of the leopards coming close will be at risk of being crushed by the pinniped's massive body.  Leopards typically kill with a throat bite, and doing this to an elephant seal will be almost impossible.  It's unlikely the leopards would even attempt this (even if they worked well as a team).  Once the elephant seal began to put up a fight, the leopards would back away.  Elephant seal wins.

Leopard vs Cougar: The cougar, at maximum weights, is about 15% heavier than the leopard.  The cougar is taller at the shoulder, and would have a slight reach advantage in a paw-swipe exchange.  The leopard is stronger pound-for-pound (and drags heavy prey items up into trees), and has a larger head & neck area.  Leopards deal with formidable animals in their habitat (hyenas, baboons, warthogs, etc.), but cougars occasionally deal with wolves and bears.  At equal weights I would favor the leopard, but at max weights I would give the slight edge to the cougar.  Almost a 50/50.

Walrus vs Gray Wolf Pack: A large bull walrus can weigh as much as 30 gray wolves.  Walruses have extremely tough hides that offer them good protection from attack.  They also have tusks measuring 3ft in length, and these can be used to defend themselves (walruses occasionally fare quite well against attacking polar bears).  A walrus doesn't have great mobility on land, but can thrust its tusks toward anything that comes close.  Wolves have great endurance, are masters at teamwork, and work together well to overpower much large animals (like elk & moose).  They attack from all sides, typically using a "bite & retreat" method (some may hang on), and wait until the quarry has weakened before pulling it to the ground.  Wolves won't sustain an attack that poses a great risk to the pack, but a walrus won't have the quickness or mobility to effectively threaten the wolves as well as moose or a bison will.  The wolves will be able to deliver bites while staying out of danger, but will need to avoid the anterior end of the pinniped.  The walrus' hide will be too tough for the wolves to easily breach, and they may give up after realizing this.  If the wolves are determined (and there's enough of them), they may eventually penetrate the tough hide with a large accumulation of bites.  A stalemate is realistically the most likely result, but a very large wolf pack will have the means to pull this off.  Any battle that takes place in water (deep enough to improve the walrus' mobility) will strongly favor the walrus.  Overall edge to gray wolf pack.

Gorilla vs Kangaroo: A gorilla can weigh well over twice as much as a red kangaroo.  Gorillas are the world's largest primates.  They have powerful arms that can span 8.5ft, and can use these to grab, pull, or apply blunt force.  Gorillas also have sharp teeth and high bite forces, and can cause significant wounds in the occasions they fight with other male gorillas that attempt to invade the troop.  Gorillas aren't practiced at tackling animals outside their own species (occasionally deal with leopards), and seldom battle among themselves (will use intimidation as opposed to engaging).  Kangaroos are robust herbivores with very strong back legs that provide great power when hopping or kicking.  A kangaroo can bound at speeds close to 30mph.  When kangaroos fight among themselves, they typically stand up and spar (boxing & grabbing with their forelimbs), but when confronting predators, they use their thick tails for support & balance while delivering powerful kicks with their large clawed hindlimbs.  The impact of this kick can cause injury with the force applied alone, but the claws can also rip open an attacker.  A gorilla has the physical strength to easily overpower a kangaroo, but may not have the know-how to do so without receiving a few nasty kicks.  Although the kangaroo will be able to repel the gorilla in most situations, the ape will have the attributes to get the better of a serious battle if it's determined to do so.  Gorilla wins.

Giraffe vs Yak: A large bull giraffe can weigh close to double a yak's weight.  Giraffes are typically peaceful creatures, and usually attempt to run from danger.  However, when forced to defend themselves (usually from lions), they can kick strongly with their hooves (kicks from the back legs are especially powerful).  Yaks have large, shaggy bodies and are armed with long horns that protrude from the sides of its head and curve upward.  They are among the most docile of bovids, but can be aggressive when the situation calls for it.  These 2 animals would likely coexist peacefully, but any show of aggression by either one might drive the other one away.  In a serious battle, however, the larger giraffe will have the edge in offense.  Giraffe wins.

Another good title, and some interesting matchups!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.