Interspecies Conflict/Polar bear v. Gorilla

Question
Hi i was wondering who would win in a fight a polar bear or silverback gorilla both in their primes and in a neutral site. Thanks or your help

Answer
Hello Grant.

You question was sent to the question pool; hope you don't mind if I answer it for you.

polar bear vs silverback gorilla: A polar bear can weigh 3 times as much as a silverback gorilla.  Polar bears are very powerful predators, and are the largest land-based carnivore (along with the Kodiak bear).  They have longer, more streamlined bodies than other bears, and have been found swimming miles out to sea.  They hunt walruses, begula whales, seals, muskox, and caribou.  Their great strength enables them to wrestle with large prey (like walruses heavier than themselves), easily snatch 500lb seals out of the water, and use their bodies like giant piledrivers to bust holes through thick sheets of ice.  As all bears, they have good endurance, and are armed with dangerous jaws and sharp claws (2" long; curved to help them grip ice).  A silverback gorilla is a male that gets silvery fur along its back (appears to form a saddle) upon reaching a certain age (usually 12).  They have powerful arms that can span 8.5ft, and can use these to grab, pull, or apply blunt force.  Gorillas also have sharp teeth and high bite forces, and can cause significant wounds in the occasions they fight with other male gorillas that attempt to invade the troop.  Gorillas aren't practiced at tackling animals outside their own species (occasionally deal with leopards), and seldom battle among themselves (will use intimidation as opposed to engaging).  In a battle between a polar bear and a silverback gorilla, the gorilla will be overwhelmed.  Polar bears routinely tackle animals more formidable than any gorilla, and they have the advantages of greater size and greater weaponry over the ape.  Polar bear wins.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK