Interspecies Conflict/Bizarro Specimens

Finally after months upon months of searching for and available time slot and having had missed my last two attempts due to max out I finally catch you at an available time.

The world is full of the undiscovered and bizarre according to the following matchups consisting of organisms that I didn't know existed until I searched them up.

Anyhow without further ado lets roll.

1. Wolverine vs. Capybara
2. Chacma Baboon vs. Mandrill
3. Brown Hyena vs. Striped hyena
4. Sable Antelope vs. Waterbuck
5. Kelenken vs. Gastornis Giganteus
6. Mosasaurus vs. Tylosaurus
7. Gigantoraptor vs. Therizinosaurus
8. Arsinoitherium vs. Brontotherium
9. Elasmotherium vs. Megacerops
10. Elginia vs. Placerias
11. Platybelodon vs. Gomphothere
12. Squalodon vs. Orca Whale
13. Edestus vs. Stethacanthus
14. Moeritherium vs. Hippo
15. Anancus vs. Columbian Mammoth
16. Basilosaurus vs. Shonisaurus
17. Brontornis vs. Titanis
18. Physornis vs. Paraphysornis
19. Nothronycus vs. Deinocheirus
20. Arthropleura vs. Jaekelopterus
21. Euphoberia vs. Pulmonoscorpius
22. Pelagornis Sandersi vs. Osteodontornis
23. Anomalocaris vs. Opabinia

I hear Brontotherium and Megacerops are technically the same species. If so please clarify.

Hope my question gets sent in this time.

Hello Max.  Glad you got through.

1. Wolverine vs. Capybara: A large capybara (the world's largest rodent) can weigh close to 3 times as much as a wolverine.  Wolverines are famous for their boldness and combat prowess.  They occasionally have hostile interactions with bears & wolves that exceed them in size.  Wolverines are among the strongest mammals pound-for-pound, and have powerful jaws and sharp claws.  Capybaras can deliver a nasty bite with their large incisors, but aren't as willing to engage a dangerous opponent as wolverines are.  The capybara's large body and potentially big bite give it the means to defeat a wolverine in a serious fight, but it's unlikely the capybara will be willing to stick around under normal circumstances.  Depends on how you look at it, but overall edge goes to the wolverine.

2. Chacma Baboon vs. Mandrill: A large mandrill can weigh 10-20% heavier than a large chacma baboon.  Both of these monkeys have very similar attributes (mobility, jumping ability, grabbing hands, fearsome canines), but the larger size of the mandrill will give it the edge in this confrontation more times than not.  Mandrill wins.

3. Brown Hyena vs. Striped hyena: The brown hyena will typically weigh about 20% more than the striped hyena.  Although there are subtle differences between the 2 species, their abilities in regards to combat are rather similar.  Both have strong bites (teeth for crushing and teeth for shearing) and can be aggressive (occasionally chase other predators away from kills).  Close fight at parity, but the larger size of the brown hyena gives it the edge.  Edge to brown hyena.

4. Sable Antelope vs. Waterbuck: These animals will be close in weight.  The sable antelope has large, curved horns that can be used in battling other males and defending themselves against predators.  They can be rather combative, and are dangerous prey items (even for lions!).  Waterbucks have straighter horns than sable antelopes.  They can be aggressive when sparring with other waterbucks, but prefer to run when danger approaches.  Both can win here, but I'd side with the feistier sable antelope.

5. Kelenken vs. Gastornis Giganteus: These birds may have been similar in weight (perhaps as much as 225kg).  Kelenken had a huge head & beak (possibly to deliver strong bites or downward strikes), and strong legs for kicking.  Gastornis also had a huge skull (close to the size of a horse's) and beak (shaped like a puffin's) and strong legs.  Gastornis may not have been as predatory as Kelenken, but may have had similar means of offense and defense.  Kelenken's slight height advantage might be an edge in regards to beak usage.  Probably close to 50/50 at close weights.

6. Mosasaurus vs. Tylosaurus: Mosasaurus and Tylosaurus were both mosasuars, but Mosasaurus enjoyed a weight advantage.  These ocean-dwelling reptiles were long, slender, & very agile.  The largest Mosasaurus was as long as a school bus and weighed as much as 2 elephants.  Their fearsome jaws would make short work of many adversaries.  Tylosaurus was similar in abilities and attributes as Mosasaurus, but Tylosaurus likely rammed prey items with its snout to stun them.  At equal weights these 2 will be close to 50/50, but the heavier (and stockier) Mosasaurus will have the edge at typical weights.  Mosasaurus wins.

7. Gigantoraptor vs. Therizinosaurus: Therizinosaurus weighed about 50% more than Gigantoraptor.  Both of these creatures had similar appearances and weaponry (clawed forelimbs that may have been used to deter predators by slashing or intimidation).  The greater size of Therizinosaurus will give it the edge.  Edge to Therizinosaurus.

8. Arsinoitherium vs. Brontotherium: Brontotherium was approximately twice as heavy as Arsinoitherium.  Both of these animals had rhino-like builds.  Arsinoitherium had 2 huge cone-shaped horns that protruded from its head, and Brontotherium had a Y-shaped horn at the end of its nose (used for defense and fighting other males).  Interesting battle at equal weights, but the Brontotherium is simply too large.  Brontotherium wins.

9. Elasmotherium vs. Megacerops: These creatures were likely close in weight (more than the largest white rhinos of today) and had reasonably similar builds.  Elasmotherium was relatively nimble for its size, and had a long, sword-like horn protruding from its forehead.  Megacerops had a Y-shaped horn on the end of its nose.  The horn of Elasmostherium was much longer than the horn of Megacerops, thus giving it a significant reach advantage, and its horn was more effective as a means to cause injury to an opponent.  Edge to Elasmotherium.

10. Elginia vs. Placerias: Placerias was many times heavier than Elginia.  Elginia was a small creature covered in bumps and knobs and had horns protruding from its head.  Placerias was a thickly-built herbivore with tusks.  Because of the great size advantage, Placerias wins.

11. Platybelodon vs. Gomphothere: These ancient elephants weighed about the same (around 2t).  Both were similar in build, and both had shovel-like lower tusks, but the longer upper tusks of Gomphothere would have given it a reach advantage.  Edge to Gomphothere.

12. Squalodon vs. Orca Whale: There's not any established information on Squalodon (few fossils have been found) that reveals an adequate description of it.  It is a type of prehistoric whale, and I would guess that it would not be able to take on an orca and defeat it in battle.  I can't determine this outcome without more information.

13. Edestus vs. Stethacanthus: Edestus was many times heavier than Stethacanthus.  Edestus was a marine animal that resembled a shark, and had serrated teeth that protruded in an odd fashion from its mouth.  Stethacanthus was a prehistoric shark with an oddly-shaped dorsal fin.  The much greater size gives Edestus the win.

14. Moeritherium vs. Hippo: A hippopotamus weighs several times more than a Moeritherium.  A hippo can weigh 2-3 tons, and is armed with large canines and incisors in its large jaws.  Hippos can be very aggressive and territorial.  Moeritherium was the size of a large pig, and somewhat resembled a slender hippo in build.  It had teeth for grinding vegetation and incisors that protruded slightly from its mouth like little tusks.  The hippo is much too big and aggressive for a Moeritherium to deal with.  Hippo wins.

15. Anancus vs. Columbian Mammoth: The Columbian mammoth was much heavier than Anancus.  Anancus resembled a modern elephant in build (and almost in weight), but its tusks pointed straight forward and approached 4m in length.  The Columbian mammoth was also elephant-like (but much larger), and its massive tusks curved upward.  Although the Anancus' tusks seemed to be rather combat-effective because of their position to stab, wielding these as such might be more difficult than it might seem.  Once the Columbian mammoth parried an initial charge by Anancus, it would be able to easily push into the side of the smaller mammal and force it to retreat.  Columbian mammoth wins.  

16. Basilosaurus vs. Shonisaurus: Shonisaurus likely weighed at least 50% more than Basilosaurus, and perhaps as much as 3 times more.  Size estimates vary for Basilosaurus, but this whale was believed to exceed 60ft (over 18m) in length.  It had a slender build, and likely weighed between 10-20 tons (some estimates are higher).  Basilosaurus had a small head in comparison to its body (about 1/20th of its body length), but its jaws were fierce-looking (sharp teeth in the front for stabbing; saw-edged teeth at the back for chewing).  It may have fed on large fish and squid.  Shoniosaurus resembled a giant dolphin with 4 very long (and equal length) flippers and a long snout.  Its teeth (which it may have lost as it grew) were designed to seize fish.  At equal weights the Basilosaurus would probably have the edge (more formidable bite), but at given weights the Shonisaurus would probably bully the smaller creature into a retreat.  Edge to Shonisaurus.

17. Brontornis vs. Titanis: Both of these birds had similar attributes and weaponry (large beaks for biting and striking, strong legs for kicking), but Brontornis was likely heavier.  Equal fight at equal weights, but here the larger Brontornis wins.

18. Physornis vs. Paraphysornis: Both of these birds were similar versions of other phorusrhacids, and not a lot is known about either.  Both had large skulls with hooked beaks and strong, solid bodies.  Probably 50/50 at equal weights.

19. Nothronycus vs. Deinocheirus: Deinocheirus weighed 2/3 as much as Nothronycus.  Nothronychus had forearms (actually front legs) armed with long, sharp claws that could have been used to slash at adversaries, but no other offensive weaponry.  Deinocheirus was armed with clawed forelimbs that likely provided strong defense as well as offense.  Both of these creatures had similar tools for fighting, but the weight advantage of the larger dinosaur would be the difference.  Deinocheirus wins.

20. Arthropleura vs. Jaekelopterus: These 2 creatures, both arthropods, were likely close in weight.  Arthopleura resembled a giant millipede, but may not have been as offensively gifted as a modern-day giant millipede (strong jaws, venomous bite, flexible body).  Jaekelopterus somewhat resembled a scorpion without the stinger (long body with grabbing claws) and is sometimes called a "sea scorpion".  The ability to grab with its claws would likely give Jaekelopterus the edge over Arthropleura.  Edge to Jaekelopterus.

21. Euphoberia vs. Pulmonoscorpius: Pulmonoscorpius was a large scorpion, and Euphoberia was a large millipede.  Pulmonoscorpius was over twice the length of Euphoberia, and both were covered in an exoskeleton.  At equal weights, assuming the prehistoric millipede could do the same things as the modern giant millipede in combat, I would favor the Euphoberia.  However, with the given weight advantage and its venomous stinger, Pulmonoscorpius has the edge.

22. Pelagornis Sandersi vs. Osteodontornis: These were both large seabirds that were likely similar in appearance and attributes.  Pelagornis was probably the larger of the 2 (and considered to be one of the largest flying birds ever), and that might be an advantage over Osteodontornis.  Edge to Pelagornis.

23. Anomalocaris vs. Opabinia: These creatures were prehistoric arthopods that were very similar in characteristics and attributes.  However, the Amomalocaris was likely much larger than Opabinia.  As such, the edge goes to Amomalocaris.

Q: I hear Brontotherium and Megacerops are technically the same species. If so please clarify.
A: It's two names for the same animal.  In the same way "Brontosaurus" and "Apatosaurus" are two names for the same sauropod, this large mammal with the Y-shaped horn has been named more than once.  I knew it as "Brontops" when I was younger.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.