Interspecies Conflict/More Even Matchups

Hi I've realized that some of my previous matchups were one sided such as those involving Edestus and Anamolocaris whom were over 100 times the size of their respective opponents.

Yeah I usually base matchups on appearance alone and don't bother to look up size and weights.

Anyway hopefully these are more even.

1. Giant House Spider vs. Golden Silk Orb-Weaver
2. Cookie Cutter Shark vs. Stethacanthus
3. Edestus vs. Great White Shark
4. Meganeura vs. Euphoberia
5. Pulmonoscorpius vs. Mongolarachne
6. Moeritherium vs. Tapir
7. Arsinoitherium vs. Embolotherium
8. Pelagornis Sandersi vs. Argentavis
9. Smilodon Populator Pack vs. T Rex

Not too much today but hopefully I'll gather more info because of that.

Hear from you soon.

Hello Max.

1. Giant House Spider vs. Golden Silk Orb-Weaver: These are both large spiders with venomous bites, and each one has assets to aid them in this battle.  The giant house spider has long legs and can run exceptionally fast, but the golden silk orb weaver is accustomed to tackling prey items of a much larger size.  Golden silk orb weaver wins.

2. Cookie Cutter Shark vs. Stethacanthus: Stethacanthus was slightly longer and more robustly built than the cookiecutter shark.  The cookiecutter shark takes small bites out of other marine life.  Stethacanthus was a prehistoric shark with an oddly-shaped dorsal fin that resembled the knob on a horse's saddle.  This creature was an active predator, and would likely have the advantage in a face-to-face encounter with a cookiecutter shark.  Stethacanthus wins.

3. Edestus vs. Great White Shark: These animals were similar in size.  Not a lot is known about Edestus.  Its jaws were somewhat splayed outward, and it's not known how they used their jaws and teeth.  The great white shark is the largest predatory fish of today.  It is an ambush predator, and likes to deliver a bite and then retreat to wait for the injured prey item to expire.  These 2 are probably closely matched, and it may depend on which one gets the first bite in.  Without knowing more, I'd assign a 50/50 here.

4. Meganeura vs. Euphoberia: Meganeura was a prehistoric creature resembling a dragonfly, but with a wingspan exceeding 2ft.  Eupoberia was a prehistoric millipede that approached the size of the largest millipedes living today.  The exoskeleton of Euphoberia was probably adequate enough to prevent the Meganeura from injuring it, and if Euphoberia was anything some of today's millipedes, it could have delivered a potent bite to anything that approached.  Edge to Euphoberia.

5. Pulmonoscorpius vs. Mongolarachne: Pulmonoscorpius was a large scorpion that was 4 times as long as many of today's scorpions.  It had grabbing claws, a venomous stinger, and a hard exoskeleton.  Mongolarachne was a giant spider that many consider to be a larger version of today's orb-weaver spiders.  The Pulmonoscorpius was much heavier than Mongolarachne, and its shell would protect it from the spider's offense better than the spider's defenses could defend against the scorpion's sting.  Pulmonoscorpius wins.

6. Moeritherium vs. Tapir: This depends on which tapir we use.  Although some species of tapir are close in size to Moeritherium, the Malaysian tapir was a bit larger.  Moertherium was a pig-sized animal considered to be one of the early elephants, but resembled a small hippo (and may have spent a lot of time in the water).  It had small tusks that barely protruded from its mouth.  The build of a tapir is somewhat similar to a Moeritherium at first glance.  Tapirs have stocky bodies and nasty bites.  They don't seem well-armed from a visual inspection, but can be tough prey items for predators (including big cats).  The tapir will likely have a decent mobility advantage over Moeritherium, but at similar weights the 2 animals are probably closely matched.  However, with the Malaysian tapir potentially outweighing the Moeritherium by a good margin, it will have the edge in a battle.  Overall edge to tapir.

7. Arsinoitherium vs. Embolotherium: Arsinoitherium was close in weight to Embolotherium, but somewhat shorter.  Arsinoitherium had 2 huge cone-shaped horns that protruded from its head, and Embolotherium (a type of brontothere) had a spade-shaped projection on its nose area.  The Embolotherium's "horn" wasn't as combat-effective as one on a Megacerops, and the longer horns of Arsinoitherium would give it a reach advantage.  Edge to Arsinoitherium.

8. Pelagornis Sandersi vs. Argentavis: These 2 birds are considered to be among the largest ones to ever fly.  Pelagornis sandersi was a large sea bird that likely (and understandably) had poor maneuverability compared to many smaller birds.  It may have been a glider first and foremost, and probably wasn't well-designed for in-flight combat.  Argentavis was a huge bird that resembled a massive condor.  It likely commanded respect whenever it arrived at a kill site (it was believed to be a scavenger).  Argentavis had a powerful beak capable of ripping into carcasses, and weighed almost twice as much as Pelagornis.  Argentavis wins.

9. Smilodon Populator Pack vs. T Rex: A Tyrannosaurus weighed well over 15 times as much as a Smildon populator.  Smilodon populator was a powerful cat with a stocky, muscular build.  It was armed with sharp claws and long upper canines.  Smilodon was likely an ambush predator, and would wrestle its victims to the ground to deliver a bite to a vulnerable area with its "sabers".  Tyrannosaurus was a large, fearsome theropod that exceeded the weight of an African elephant.  Its jaws were armed with long blade-like teeth, and they could close with a tremendous amount of force (far exceeding the bite force of today's alligators and crocodiles).  The answer to this question depends on 2 factors: how many Smilodons are in the group, and if the Smilodons will cooperate like lionesses do for this particular battle.  A large enough group of Smilodons can pull this off, but they'll be facing some difficult obstacles.  There won't be a vulnerable area on the Tyrannosaurus that will be easily accessible, and the dinosaur will have the ability to quickly kill any Smilodon it can get its jaws on.  Enough Smilodons leaping on the Tyrannosaurus will impede the theropod's movement, and this will give on of the cats a decent chance to get into a position in which to use its lethal bite.  Even though the gape of Smilodon is great, it will be limited in bite delivery considering the size of Tyrannosaurus and the thickness of the available target areas.  The Tyrannosaurus will be favored unless the Smilodon group is very large (likely well over a dozen) and cooperating.  Tyrannosaurus wins.       

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.