Interspecies Conflict/Jurassic World

Hey BK, did you watch Jurassic World? How was it?
Indominus rex vs Sarchosaurus
4 Icaroraptors vs Indominus rex
Carcharondontosaurus vs Indominus rex
Giganotosaurus vs Indominus rex
4 Xenofelis vs Indominus Rex

and some normal match-ups,
Utahraptor vs Entelodont
Inostrancevia vs Afrocan lion
White Rhino vs Triceratops (at parity)
Gray Wolf vs Velociraptor
Deinonychus vs Gray Wolf
Killer Whale vs Xiphactinus
Tylosaurus vs 3 Killer whales

And a separate question, can species ONLY WITHIN a genus crossbreed? Like let's say an Icaroraptor is a subspecies of the original Utahtraptor, can they breed?

Hello again Lawrence.

I watched Jurassic World last weekend, and I loved it.  The original Jurassic Park has been a favorite of mine ever since its release, and Jurassic World is right up there with it.  I've always loved dinosaurs, and Jurassic World shows a large variety of them in many action-packed scenes.  I didn't really analyze or dissect the plot, I just enjoyed the action.

***** SPOILER ALERT ***** Don't read these answers until you've seen Jurassic World!!!

Indominus rex vs Sarchosaurus: Sarchosaurus weighs about 2.5 times as much as Indominus rex.  Indominus rex is a hybrid dinosaur made primarily from a Tyrannosaurus and a dromaeosaurid.  It has enough size and bulk to rival or exceed Tyrannosaurus in size, and has much larger forelimbs (kind of like what a Spinosaurus had).  Indominus rex is extremely intelligent, innovative, and has the ability to camouflage itself (like a chameleon).  It also demonstrates a savage disregard for other life forms.  Sarchosaurus has a strong bite, and likes to charge and ram adversaries with its head (like a bull).  Although the ability to conceal itself will likely give the Indominus rex a chance to gain the upper hand in a surprise attack, a Sarchosaurus aware of its presence will probably have the size and strength to drive it away with bites and head butts.  Close battle, edge to Sarchosaurus.

4 Icaroraptors vs Indominus rex: Indominus rex will weigh 12 times as much as each Icaroraptor.  This will depend on which Icaroraptors we use.  The original Icaroraptors will have a chance to succeed on some occasions, but the multi-faceted offense of Indominus rex (strong bite, clawed limbs) will give them more problems than, let's say, a Tyrannosaurus would.  Icaroraptors work as a team, but the innovation and intelligence of Indominus rex will make it a tough adversary for the quartet.  The enhanced Icaroraptors (sentience, venom projection, extremely strong bites/kicks/tail swings) will probably find a way more times than not.  Overall edge to 4 Icaroraptors.  

Carcharodontosaurus vs Indominus rex: These dinosaurs are probably quite close in weight.  Carcharodontosaurus had 20cm triangle-shaped serrated teeth set in a skull 1.5m long.  Because of the superior features of Indominus rex (large clawed forelimbs, intelligence, innovation, camouflage), it would have a decent edge over Carcharodontosaurus.  In the movie, Indominus rex battled the Tyrannosaurus, and seemed to be getting the better of the fight.  If it can defeat a Tyrannosaurus (which would have likely lost without help), it can defeat any theropod dinosaur.  Indominus rex wins.

Giganotosaurus vs Indominus rex: These dinosaurs are probably equal in weight.  Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus were about the same size (at least 8 tons), and were similar in most characteristics.  In the same way I would favor Indominus rex over Carcharodontosaurus, I would favor it over Giganotosaurus.  Indominus rex wins.

4 Xenofelis vs Indominus Rex: Indominus rex will probably weigh almost 20 times as much as each Xenofelis (I believe the original Xenos weighed 360kg; their weight was increased to 372kg for an average male).  If the Xenos are the original ones (no sentience), they will have trouble findng a weakness in Indominus rex.  They will be able to bite and claw the theropod effectively, but won't be able to avoid the jaws and claws of the much larger animal throughout the duration of the battle.  If sentient, the Xeno group will be able to incorporate a strategy to target vulnerable areas on the Indominus rex while staying out of harm's way.  Close battle, but the Xenos probably need sentience to win.

Utahraptor vs Entelodont: The largest entelodont, Daeodon, will weigh twice as much as Utahraptor.  Daeodon was about the size of a bison, but looked sort of like a warthog with huge jaws.  It could tusk an adversary with powerful movements, and its jaws could clamp shut with a great deal of force (this supported in part by the existence of strong neck muscles).  Utahraptor was about half the weight of Daeodon, but was armed with sharp claws to kick with and cause deep, serious injuries.  The size of Daeodon and the inability or Utahraptor to withstand any prolonged offense from the huge pig would swing this battle to the favor of the entelodont.  Not an easy battle, but Daeodon wins.

Inostrancevia vs African lion: Inostrancevia will weigh almost twice as much as an African lion.  Inostrancevia was an active predatory creature with a large skull and saber-like teeth in its upper jaw measuring over 5" in length.  African lions are the fighters of the cat world, with males engaging in fierce battles in disputes over territory or females.  They are capable of overpowering animals larger than themselves, and are practiced finishers (usually with a neck or throat bite).  The lion will have the speed and agility advantage over Inostrancevia, but will have a difficult time avoiding the massive jaws of the gorgonopsid at close quarters.  The African lion wins at parity, but it's giving up a lot of size and weight to Inostrancevia.  Inostrancevia wins.

White Rhino vs Triceratops (at parity): White rhinos are large terrestrial mammals with tank-like builds and great strength.  They have 2 horns on their nose areas, and the longer front one can be a good weapon against any adversary.  Triceratops was a large dinosaur with a huge skull.  This skull was adorned with a neck frill and 3 sharp horns.  The brow horns were the longest ones, and may have been used to battle rival males or attacking theropods.  White rhinos don't deal with predators larger than a lion, but Triceratops dealt with theropods that got as heavy as it was.  In a head-to-head battle, the horns of the Triceratops might not have a greater reach considering the length and position of the rhino's frontal nose horn, but its "comfort zone" battling animals as large as itself will likely be higher.  Mammals typically have better stamina than reptiles, and that may come into play in an extended battle.  Considering the dangers Triceratops faced compared to the white rhino, the dinosaur may have been more aggressive and combative.  Either animal will be capable of defeating the other, and it might depend overall who gets the first good thrust in.  Edge to Triceratops.

Gray Wolf vs Velociraptor: A gray wolf will weigh almost 4 times as much as a Velociraptor.  The Velociraptors depicted in the "Jurassic" movies were much larger than Velociraptors actually got.  Deinonychus, a larger dromaeosaurid, was much closer in size to the creatures shown in Jurassic Park and Jurassic World.  A gray wolf is a pack hunter, but can kill large animals solo at times by using its powerful bite and good lateral quickness.  A Velociraptor has a variety of weapons at its disposal (good bite, gripping forelimbs, clawed hindlimbs), but it is much too small to handle the big bite of a gray wolf.  I would probably favor a Deinonychus (25% heavier than a gray wolf) to defeat a gray wolf, but not a Velociraptor. A coyote would be a good matchup for a Velociraptor.  Gray wolf wins.

Deinonychus vs Gray Wolf: A Deinonychus weighed about 25% more than a gray wolf. Deinonychus had good agility and leaping ability.  The gray wolf has a strong bite, but no other weaponry.  Deinonychus has the claws to kick with and a decent set of jaws to bite with.  The biggest obstacle for the wolf to overcome will be the kicks.  It would need to avoid them while rushing in to land a good bite, and then hope it grabbed onto an area that would prevent the dinosaur from counter-attacking with bites or more kicks.  I don't like the gray wolf's chances to accomplish this on most occasions.  Decent fight, but Deinonychus wins.  

Killer Whale vs Xiphactinus: A killer whale (orca) weighs several times more than Xiphactinus, and can reach lengths of about 50% longer.  Killer whales are intelligent mammals that hunt in packs.  A killer whale has good mobility in the water, and has large jaws with pointed teeth (up to 4") for gripping and tearing.  Xiphactinus had bulldog-shaped jaws with sharp, pointed teeth for impaling prey items.  It was likely a powerful swimmer due to its large forked tail & flexible spine.  The size and weight advantage of the killer whale is too much for the Xiphactinus to handle.  Killer whale wins.  

Tylosaurus vs 3 Killer whales: Tylosaurus was close to 50% longer than a killer whale, but actually wasn't much heavier.  Tylosaurus was a marine predator with sharp teeth, crushing jaws, and great aquatic maneuverability (thanks to 4 flippers and a rudder-like tail). It may have rammed prey items with its snout to stun them.  Killer whales commonly hunt in a pack, and can coordinate their attacks with great skill.  The Tylosaurus will likely injure at least one killer whale, but the trio should be able to divide the mosasaur's focus long enough to land a few good bites and defeat it.  3 killer whales win.

Q: Can species ONLY WITHIN a genus crossbreed?  Like let's say an Icaroraptor is a subspecies of the original Utahtraptor, can they breed?
A: There are cases of animals of different genera crossbreeding (pumas & leopards, for example).  I would say an Icaroraptor and a Utahraptor could breed, but I couldn't say exactly what the offspring would be like without knowing how similar they were to one another.  This question might be more adequately answered by one of the experts in the "Wild Animals" or "Zoology" section of AllExperts.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.