Interspecies Conflict/query

hi there bk hope all is well.being a wildlife enthusiast like yourself my favourite documentaries are on the amazon, and the last one was on the green anaconda, and it basically made this animal out to be lets say we put a large kodiak bear in the you think it would be immune from attack?and let's say the largest anaconda that was in the amazon attacked the bear and got hold of it first with it's immense strength, who do you think would win?thanks again bk i always appreciate your well detailed and excellent answers:)

Hello Chris.

A Kodiak bear can weigh over 3 times as much as a green anaconda.  One factor to consider in this matchup is climate.  A Kodiak bear lives in cold temperatures, and the green anaconda lives in rather warm temperatures.  The Kodiak bear won't be comfortable being placed in the Amazon, but we'll proceed as if some form of adaption process has occurred to enable the bear to operate as it would in its own habitat.  A Kodiak bear, along with the polar bear, is the largest land carnivore.  It can reach 1.5m at the shoulder and has great strength, endurance, and durability.  A Kodiak bear is armed with strong jaws and long claws that can cause a lot of serious damage in a conflict.  The green anaconda is the world's heaviest snake, sometimes reaching 181kg (some sources state even higher weights for it, sometimes as high as 250kg, but that is unsubstantiated).  According to "Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide" (Editors-in-Chief David Burnie and Don E. Wilson; reptile section by Chris Mattison and Ronald Crombie), "The green anaconda's powerful body is strong enough to asphyxiate animals up to the size of a horse.  It often ambushes its victims as they arrive to drink".  "The World Encyclopedia Of Animals" (by Tom Jackson) states "Anacondas are ambush predators: they wait for prey to come to the water's edge to drink, then they strike with lightning speed.  Their bodies are powerful enough to squeeze the life out of a horse or a fully grown black caiman.  Anacondas can kill humans, but only occasionally do so."  Horses and black caimans usually don't exceed 400kg or so, but a Kodiak bear can reach 680kg.  The anaconda isn't a very good fighter on land when face-to-face due to limited mobility and poor stamina, but is a more capable combatant in the water where mobility and stamina are greatly improved.  When the anaconda seizes a prey item in its jaws (lined with sharp, backward-pointing teeth), it is hard for the intended victim to pull free.  There is only a small amount of time for the bitten animal to escape before the coils of the snake are pulled around it; at that point it's usually too late to obtain freedom.  A Kodiak bear is too large for an anaconda to asphyxiate (suffocate) with a typical constriction attempt, but securing a coil around the bear's neck might give the snake the potential to complete this action.  The problem the anaconda will encounter is the method at which the bear will battle against it.  While most animals that anacondas capture and constrict don't have the body mechanics to fight their way out of the coils (like stiff-legged herbivores, for example), the bear's forepaw usage and supple body will enable it to turn, claw, and bite in its defense.  There are some animals that an anaconda can potentially kill in an ambush that have the means to fight back well (like a jaguar, for example), but don't have the size of a Kodiak bear (which would make a kill nearly impossible).  The Kodiak bear has the total package (too large for the anaconda to constrict; the body mechanics to fight back at a high level) to make it virtually immune to any conquest by a green anaconda.  A Kodiak bear could easily kill a green anaconda on land if it wanted to, and in shallow water the bear would still be too formidable for the anaconda to make any headway against.  It's very unlikely a green anaconda would even attack an animal as large as a Kodiak bear because swallowing it would be impossible.  An adult Kodiak bear in the Amazon would have little to fear, and only a coalition of black caimans in deep water would pose any real threat at all (assuming they chose to attack it).  Documentaries will often attempt to put the featured animal in a "good light" to make the documentary more interesting, and after watching one it can seem as if the animal featured is nearly invincible.  Green anacondas are very impressive animals with tremendous power and amazing abilities, but they do have their limits.  A Kodiak bear is simply too massive and mighty for the green anaconda to have any real chance against under normal circumstances.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.