Interspecies Conflict/Conflict of interest

An available time slot good to know I'm not too late.

So as to keep it that way I'll just get straight to the point.

1. Megalania vs. Argentvis
2. Elasmotherium vs. Sarcosuchus
3. Silverback Gorilla vs. American Alligator
4. Dwarf Sperm Whale vs. Bottlenose Dolphin
5. Ngangdong Tiger vs. Hippopotamus Gorgops
6. American Lioness vs. Siberian Tiger
7. Goliath Birdeater vs. Tarantula Hawk
8. Pulmonoscorpius vs. King Crab
9. Trap Door Spider vs. Six Eyed Sand Spider
10. Two Rottweilers vs. Male Chimpanzee

Bonus Question. Would a Box Jellyfish sting have any effect on a Blue Whale?

Hope I'm on time. better not waste it.

Hello Max.

1. Megalania vs. Argentavis: Megalania will weigh anywhere from 12-16 times as much as Argentavis, and the wingspan of Argentavis will be about the same (or slightly more) as the length of Megalania.  Megalania was a giant monitor lizard (likely weighed over a ton) that may have been similar in many ways to the modern-day Komodo dragon (strong digging claws, whip-like tail, tiny osteoderms on its skin that serve as a type of armor, sharp teeth, toxic bite, etc.).  Argentavis was a huge bird (as heavy as an adult human) that was likely a scavenger, and would drive other predators away from kills.  Its bill was hooked (like an eagle's) to enable it to easily rip open carcasses.  Once Argentavis landed on the ground, it would not have enough lateral quickness to avoid getting bit by Megalania.  The bird would not have any effective offense to offer against the reptile from the air, and a land battle will strongly favor the heavier animal.  Megalania wins.
2. Elasmotherium vs. Sarcosuchus: Sarcosuchus (SuperCroc) likely weighed almost twice as much as Elasmotherium.  Elasmotherium was a prehistoric rhinoceros with a long, sword-like horn protruding from its forehead.  Its legs were a bit longer than a modern rhino's, and it likely had a decent level of lateral quickness and mobility.  Sarcosuchus was a huge reptile with huge jaws and armor-like hide (much like a modern-day crocodile).  It would likely ambush animals at the water's edge and drag them under to drown.  Sarcosuchus' jaws were not as robust as Deinosuchus' (another huge prehistoric crocodilian), and likely not as strong.  The Elasmotherium will have the mobility advantage (and likely the stamina advantage) on land, and can seriously Sarcosuchus with a well-placed stab in an area not thickly covered by the osteoderms.  However, as the Elasmotherium comes close to Sarcosuchus to stab it, it will be vulnerable to being grabbed by the reptile's huge jaws (which will make it difficult for the mammal to advance its position or continue with any effective offense).  It will be a close battle on land (can go either way depending on how things play out), but any water added to the equation will shift the advantage to the crocodile.  Overall edge to Sarcosuchus.

3. Silverback Gorilla vs. American Alligator: The American alligator will weigh almost twice as much as a silverback gorilla.  Silverback gorillas are male gorillas that have reached the approximate age of 12 and have established themselves as leaders and protectors of their troops.  Gorillas are physically impressive primates with muscular bodies, long powerful arms (spanning 8.5ft), and a strong bite force (with sharp canines).  They aren't practiced at taking on other animals besides other gorillas, but their physical attributes keep them from being pushovers.  Alligators are armored reptiles with extremely strong jaws that clamp down on prey items with tremendous force.  They ambush prey at the water's edge and pull it under to drown.  An alligator doesn't have a lot of mobility (or stamina) on land, but it can make quick movements in short bursts and will battle fiercely to avoid capture.  A gorilla won't have the know-how to safely attack an alligator or create a strategy in completing such a task, and will be in trouble if grabbed by the reptile's mighty jaws.  A gorilla might be strong, but it won't have a way to effectively breach the alligator's armor with any offense.  The alligator should have the edge on land, and will dominate if any water is involved.  American alligator wins.

4. Dwarf Sperm Whale vs. Bottlenose Dolphin: The bottlenose dolphin can weigh up to 80% more than the dwarf sperm whale.  The dwarf sperm whale is a shy animal that feeds upon fish, squid, crustaceans, and mollusks.  Dolphins are intelligent mammals with great maneuverability in the water.  Dolphins fight by biting, ramming with their heads, and striking with their tail flukes.  The larger dolphin will have the edge here.  Bottlenose dolphin wins.

5. Ngandong Tiger vs. Hippopotamus Gorgops: Hippopotamus gorgops will weigh anywhere from 10-13 times as much as a Ngandong tiger.  The Ngandong tiger was possibly the largest cat to ever exist, and its weight has been estimated to be anywhere from 770lbs to almost half a ton.  This will be similar to a Bengal tiger taking on a very large modern-day hippopotamus.  Tigers are excellent hunters, and their big cat attributes (speed, agility, athleticism, killing experience, claws & jaws, etc.) make them very capable combatants.  Hippopotamus gorgops was a huge hippo with gigantic jaws that were capable of inflicting serious injury or death with by chomping or slashing.  The Ngandong tiger will be quick and agile enough to keep from being bitten or slashed by the Hippopotamus gorgops, but will have a great deal of trouble penetrating the thick skin of the herbivore without considerable effort.  The tiger simply won't take on such a huge opponent without a desperate mindset, and a realistic encounter will lead to a stalemate or the cat being driven away by the larger animal.  Check out my answer to hippo vs Ngandong tiger ("Human Abilities" from 7/4/15).  Edge to Hippopotamus gorgops.   

6. American Lioness vs. Siberian Tiger: An American lioness' weight likely peaked somewhere between 540lb and 650lb, and a Siberian tiger's peak weight is probably around 660lb (although they probably aren't as big today as they once were).  These cats were likely reasonably close in weight.  It's widely believed that American lions didn't form prides, and as a result may not have been as experienced at cat vs cat combat as today's African lions.  American lions were also built more for speed than modern-day lions.  A Siberian tiger's thick, loose fur probably offers some protection against the paw swipes of an opponent.  These cats are probably closely matched at parity, but the Siberian tiger was likely a bit larger.  Slight edge to Siberian tiger.

7. Goliath Birdeater vs. Tarantula Hawk: The Goliath birdeater is a huge spider that is a type of tarantula.  Its legs can spread wide enough to span a dinner plate, and it can weigh almost as much as 4 golf balls.  The Goliath birdeater has large fangs that can inject venom into prey items and adversaries.  It can also release tiny hairs from its body (by using its back legs to remove them from its abdomen) that can be irritating to an attacker.  A tarantula hawk is a large wasp that often predates upon tarantulas.  The stinger of the tarantula hawk can exceed the length of a thumbtack's point, and its sting can be extremely painful to humans and can paralyze a tarantula if it pierces the spider's soft underside.  Although tarantula hawks can kill large tarantulas, it will likely have a higher level of difficulty when dealing with one the size of a Goliath birdeater.  The tarantula hawk will be much quicker (even on the ground) and will have a decent chance of landing a good sting as the spider moves around in its attempts to defend itself or lunge at the wasp.  Even though the Goliath birdeater is much, much larger, the tarantula hawk is skilled at killing large spiders and can be relentless (usually a predator/prey relationship).  The spider can certainly kill the wasp with a bite, but the quicker wasp will probably have the edge in most encounters.  Not sure here, but I'd probably give the slight edge to the tarantula hawk.

8. Pulmonoscorpius vs. King Crab: Pulmonoscorpius was a large scorpion that was 4 times as long as many of today's scorpions.  It had grabbing claws, a venomous stinger, and a hard exoskeleton.  There are a few types of king crabs, and many of them are a bit heavier and larger than Pulmonoscorpius.  The king crab's exoskeleton would probably protect it from all but the most well-placed stings of Pulmonoscorpius, and it would likely have the reach advantage in a struggle (its claws would grab the scorpion before the scorpion reached it).  I'd probably go with the larger species of king crabs in this matchup, but with the venomous stinger the Pulmonoscorpius can't be ruled out.  Edge to king crab.

9. Trap Door Spider vs. Six Eyed Sand Spider: Trapdoor spiders are primarily ambush predators, and hide in a tunnel (that they made themselves) with a "lid" on top and wait for prey to approach.  The six-eyed sand spider is very venomous creature, but also operates by ambush.  The trapdoor spider is a bit more robust, but the bite of the six-eyed sand spider is probably more potent.  Close battle, but I'd probably give the edge to the six-eyed sand spider.

10. Two Rottweilers vs. Male Chimpanzee: A large male chimpanzee will weigh about the same as a large Rottweiler (about 130lb).  The Rottweiler is a large, muscular dog with a deep chest and a broad head.  This courageous breed has been used by the police and the military.  Chimpanzees are strong primates, and can be aggressive at times, but usually employ a defensive display to intimidate rivals as opposed to physically engaging them.  They have good mobility, use of their hands, and a dangerous bite to serve them in a conflict.  A single chimpanzee, however, isn't practiced at battling other large animals and doesn't have great "finishing" ability.  A chimpanzee will likely be able to defend itself against a single Rottweiler and perhaps drive it away, but it will be in trouble against a Rottweiler tandem (especially if they are trained and work together).  The dogs will rush in quickly to bite the chimpanzee, and the ape will have difficulty fending them off effectively or preventing the attack from happening.  Rottweilers win.

Q: Would a Box Jellyfish sting have any effect on a Blue Whale?
A: It's doubtful.  A blue whale can weigh over 176 tons, which is almost as much as 2000 adult human males.  A box jellyfish likely has the most potent venom on the planet, and it can easily kill a human in minutes, but some people have survived their painful stings.  A blue whale is probably too massive to be affected a great deal by the venom (if at all), but it's possible the stings would be felt to some degree by the huge mammal (perhaps only enough to let the whale know the jellyfish was there, but not enough to make the whale change its agenda).

Excellent title, by the way!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.