Interspecies Conflict/Moose vs Tyrannosaurus Rex

Hi again BK its nice to be talking to you again and as usual I have another question I would like your opinion on. Here goes.

Lets say a Moose was hypothetically scaled up to the same size as a Tyrannosaurus Rex and the two did battle who would win?

Thank You

Hello Trish.

Moose vs Tyrannosaurus rex (equal size): This is an interesting question!  At equal weights the moose will about 10-15% taller at the shoulder than the Tyrannosaurus will be at the hips.  A moose is a solidly-built cervid with long legs, wide-spreading antlers, and sharp hooves (which can be effective weapons).  Its antlers can be used somewhat as a shield or a plow in conflicts, and the sharp "tines" that often adorn the edges can cause penetrating injuries to an attacker.  A moose is agile and athletic for its size, and can be very aggressive.  It sometimes defends itself from formidable predators (bears, wolves, etc.).  A Tyrannosaurus was a bipedal theropod that is famous for its huge jaws, sharp teeth, and fearsome bite force.  Tyrannosaurus was accustomed to taking on large herbivorous animals when hunting (like Triceratops), and was likely a threat to most animals it encountered.  Comparing the weaponry of a moose and a Tyrannosaurus, however, is only one factor to consider in this matchup.  We'll need to assume that the moose can operate somewhat like a normal moose at an increased weight (which may not be likely in actuality), and also take in consideration the speed and mobility advantage a smaller creature will have when "scaled up" to match the size of a larger one.  This moose will be over twice as tall as a normal moose, and assuming it can operate to scale like a normal moose, it will be able to run over twice as fast as a normal moose (which will make it faster than a cheetah).  With this advantage in speed and mobility, the moose will be quick enough to avoid the Tyrannosaurus' bite and ram into it repeatedly with its antlers or land multiple kicks with its hooves.  With the advantages taken out of the equation and neither animal given any enhancements based on one being "scaled up", the Tyrannosaurus may have a better chance to land a solid bite upon an unprotected area of the moose before receiving too many serious wounds from the cervid (and the theropod would likely be favored).  The moose will still be quicker, however, and may be able to use that advantage when applying offense or defense in this battle (it probably won't be able to kill the Tyrannosaurus, but might be able to drive it away).  An additional thing to consider is the comparison of the moose to Triceratops (a frequent prey target that occasionally equaled the Tyrannosaurus in weight).  A Triceratops was likely able to hold its own against a similar-sized Tyrannosaurus in a face-to-face battle, and the Triceratops was likely better suited for combat than the moose considering its sharp horns and tank-like build (and I would probably favor a Triceratops to defeat a moose at equal weights).  However, with the moose being faster and having much greater lateral quickness than the Triceratops, it would likely present more problems for the Tyrannosaurus.  If the Tyrannosaurus lived with giant moose and had time to adapt its hunting techniques to catch and overpower these herbivores, I would probably favor it to win most encounters.  It would probably attempt to lunge in close and land a bite to disable the moose.  Without time to adapt, the Tyrannosaurus will not have the speed or variation in its offense (its bite will be its only truly effective weapon against the moose) to be readily favored.  Knowing how terrifying a predator the Tyrannosaurus must have been makes it difficult to go against it here, but when all factors are considered, the moose simply has better tools to succeed in a face-to-face encounter based primarily on superior speed and mobility.  To recap, without "scaled up advantages" for the moose the edge goes to the Tyrannosaurus, with "scaled up advantages" for the moose the edge goes to the moose.  Overall edge to moose.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.