Interspecies Conflict/Shark vs Marlin

Who would win between a Great White Shark and a Black Marlin?

Thank You and have a happy Easter!

Hello Trish.

Great White Shark vs Black Marlin: The great white shark can weigh over 3 times as much as the black marlin.  Great white sharks are powerful predators with large jaws armed with many rows of sharp teeth.  The shark is an ambush predator, and will often attack prey from below.  It will usually bite into the victim and retreat to avoid injury, and will wait for the prey to weaken from blood loss before reengaging.  Great white sharks have tough hides due to their rigid scales, and are exceptionally strong swimmers (many can leap entirely out of the water as well).  Black marlins are a popular game fish, and like other marlins can be ferocious fighters when caught on a fishing line.  Black marlins can swim at speeds faster than the fastest land animal (the cheetah) and swim over twice as fast as the great white shark.  The bill of the black marlin can certainly injure a great white shark, but most attempts to do so will leave the marlin vulnerable to a counter-attack (and a potentially fatal bite injury).  A black marlin isn't without hope, and although it would have a good chance at close weights, the great white shark is simply to big and durable to lose this battle consistently.  The black marlin's best chance of survival is to flee.  Great white shark wins.   

Have a great Easter as well!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.