Interspecies Conflict/Conflicts

Hi again BK,here are some more animal fights I would like you to take a look at!

Black bear vs 2 Cougars

Red Kangaroo vs Ostrich

Gaur vs Water Buffalo

Spotted Hyena vs Mandrill

Moose vs Wild boar

Wolverine vs Dingo

Raccoon vs Skunk

Thank You

Hello again Trish.

Black Bear vs 2 Cougars: An American black bear can weigh over 2 1/2 times more than a large cougar.  In general, black bears aren't as formidable or aggressive as brown bears, but they are still very dangerous adversaries when angered or threatened.  They have the typical "ursid attributes" (great strength and endurance, forelimb usage for swiping and grabbing, strong jaws and sharp claws, durability), and many hunting dogs have been wounded or killed when giving chase to them.  Cougars occasionally cross paths with bears, and usually give way to the more powerful animal.  Cougars are extremely agile and athletic, and their long limbs make them exceptional leapers.  This cat is armed with sharp claws and teeth, and it can kill herbivores many times it own size with a suffocating throat or snout bite.  The cougar is a solitary hunter, and 2 of them won't likely cooperate in a fight the same way a pair of lions will.  A black bear may get driven away by a tandem of cougars and perhaps defeated by a pair that hypothetically cooperate, but realistically the bear will be too big and strong.  The bear's supple body and weaponry will enable it to battle against the cougars in a more effective way than a similar-sized cervid would be able to, and the cougars will not form a strategy like animals that are practiced at cooperating (like wolves or lions) would be able to.  Close fight, but I actually give the edge to the American black bear.  If the Asiatic black bear (twice as heavy as a cougar) is used, the cougars will probably have the slight edge with all things considered.  Edge to black bear.

Red Kangaroo vs Ostrich: An ostrich can weigh over 50% more than a red kangaroo and measure 33-50% taller.  Red kangaroos are the largest of marsupials, and have powerful hind legs that enable them to hop with ease and kick with a great deal of force.  They often have to defend themselves from dingoes, and frequently spar with other kangaroos.  The kangaroo's front limbs can actually aid it in some close-quarter conflicts.  The ostrich is the world's largest bird, and  it can stand close to 9ft tall and weigh over 300lb.  It uses its long neck and large eyes to scan the landscape for predators (primarily cheetahs, lions & hyenas).  If the ostrich spots a predator it will attempt to hide, flap its wings in an effort to intimidate, or run.  If forced to fight, it will kick with strong legs armed with long claws.  The ostrich is territorial, and can be quite aggressive.  Both of these animals have good endurance, but the ostrich's mobility will be a little bit better.  A kick from a red kangaroo can injure an ostrich and a kick from an ostrich can injure a red kangaroo, but the vital areas of the ostrich will be higher off the ground than the kangaroo's.  The ostrich will be able to land effective kicks more readily, and that will give the bird the edge here.  Close fight at parity, but edge here to the heavier ostrich.

Gaur vs Water Buffalo: A gaur is the largest wild bovid on the planet, and it can weigh a bit more (10-25%) than a large water buffalo.  Both of these herbivores have similar weaponry (thick horns & sharp hooves), and will typically seek to drive their horns into an opponent in a conflict.  Both deal with similar predators (tigers, crocodiles, etc.), and both are brutally strong.  The gaur is probably a bit more muscular, but the water buffalo's level of aggression is usually higher.  At close weights this will be a reasonably close fight, but the gaur's greater size and weight will determine the outcome more times than not.  There's no present-day land herbivore I would favor over gaur in a one-on-one conflict except the elephant, the rhino (not the Sumatran), and the hippo (not the pygmy).  Edge to gaur.

Spotted Hyena vs Mandrill: A spotted hyena can weigh about 50% more than a mandrill.  Spotted hyenas are predators and scavengers, and their great numbers make them a formidable presence on the African plains.  Even lion prides recognize the spotted hyena as a force to be reckoned with.  A spotted hyena is famous for being very durable (many survive skirmishes with lions and leopards and are notoriously hard to kill) and having a bone-crushing bite.  A mandrill is the largest monkey in the world, and is very baboon-like.  It has long (2") sharp canines that can cause grievous injuries to any attacker, and its mobility (and leaping ability) is very good.  Spotted hyenas are acquainted with baboons and well aware of their painful bites, so one will likely avoid the identically-equipped mandrill if an encounter occurs.  The spotted hyena's crushing bite can cause a lot of damage to a mandrill's body, but the mandrill's greater quickness and hand usage will give it the ability to land more bites in a shorter amount of time.  The hyena's tougher build will allow it to withstand the mandrill's offense better than the other way around, and that (along with its greater size) will be a key factor in favoring it in this battle.  Both have effective bites, the hyena is more durable, the mandrill is quicker and less clumsy, the hyena is battle-tested and larger, and the mandrill can use its hands to grab.  In a down-and-dirty battle between determined individuals the spotted hyena will have the edge, but realistically the hyena (which is more comfortable fighting with help from members of its clan) will ardently avoid a confrontation with the dangerous mandrill.  Depends on how you look at it, but overall edge to spotted hyena.    

Moose vs Wild boar: A moose can weigh 3 1/2 times as much as a typical full-sized wild boar, and can weigh twice as much as the very largest Russian wild boars.  The moose has wide antlers that serve it better as a shield or a plow than a weapon that causes significant damage (although the points on the antlers can cause wounds), and battles between males usually involve an antler-pushing contest (although areas on the body may be struck).  They are sometimes attacked by bears and wolves, but healthy adult moose are typically left alone due to their great size, large antlers (occasionally exceeding 5ft across), and sharp hooves.  A moose can be formidable (fights between 2 males can be violent), and a large one will measure over twice as tall at the shoulder than a large wild boar.  Wild boars have tough hides, sharp tusks, and have good lateral quickness.  Many animals predate upon wild boars, but they can be dangerous quarry for any of them (even tigers and wolves).  The boar will have greater mobility than the moose, but it will have a small window of opportunity to slash at the flanks of the moose before the large antlers swing around.  An impact of the moose's antlers to the boar's body can have dire results, and the boar is low enough to the ground for the moose's hooves to come into play.  Wild boars can hold their own against other herbivores in their weight range, but a moose is simply too large.  Moose wins.

Wolverine vs Dingo: These animals will weigh about the same.  Wolverines are famous for their ferocity and boldness, and are among the strongest mammals on a pound-for-pound basis.  A wolverine can hold its own or soundly defeat just about any other animal close to its weight range, and the dingo is no exception.  The wolverine's thick fur provides a certain degree of protection in a fight, and its supple body allows it to battle from various positions with great effect.  Its powerful jaws can crack or crush bone, and its sharp claws (perfect for digging) can inflict serious injury to an adversary.  Wolverines have been known to drive larger predators (like bears and wolves) away from kills, and are capable of killing animals much larger than themselves (including moose slowed by deep snow).  The dingo is a Australian predator that has good lateral quickness and a solid bite, but this canid not fare too well against a wolverine that has a more impressive build and a more diversified arsenal.  A better matchup for a wolverine would be the African wild dog or a red wolf (both are close to double a wolverine's weight).  Wolverine wins.  

Raccoon vs Skunk: A raccoon can be twice as heavy as most skunks, but the weight difference won't be as much of a factor as weaponry in this battle.  Raccoons are rotund mammals with sharp teeth and claws, and are known as fierce fighters (even driving away dogs much larger than themselves).  Skunks also have sharp teeth and claws, but it's their ability to "spray" an awful-smelling liquid from their scent glands that makes them formidable.  A skunk won't spray unless it absolutely has to because its supply can run out and leave it vulnerable for a short time.  If spray is not used, a raccoon will overpower and defeat a skunk.  If spray is utilized, the skunk will be victorious almost without exception.  These 2 will likely get along with one another upon crossing paths (I've seen a picture of a wild raccoon and a wild skunk eating together), but any hypothetical battle will favor the skunk.  Skunk wins.  

Good matchups as always!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.