Interspecies Conflict/Interspecies conflict

Hi BK, it's been a while!

I recently read articles about Travis, the chimpanzee that grievously injured a woman.

According to articles, he was 200lbs at the time of the attack and the woman was no match for the simian. Now I don't think that a chimpanzee can reach such weights in the wild and Travis was heavy because he was a spoon-fed animal.
The issue of Travis brought an interesting scenario. I remember what my friend said about the Bully Kutta and Gull Terr. He said that once, my servant was doing some work while bent and one of his dogs (a German Shepherd) out of nowhere charged towards the poor old man with great aggression. The man turned around and in confusion, stood his ground but in a nick of time, his other dog, a (Bully x Gull Terr) charged towards the rogue dog and saved the man.

Now I just wonder that because I have a Bully Kutta, I would be curious to know how a good Bully Kutta would fare against foes when circumstances call.
1.   Travis vs game Bully Kutta
2.   Travis vs Tosa
3.   Main event: Wild chimpanzee vs game Bully Kutta

Hello Jem.

1. Travis vs game Bully Kutta: Travis will weigh almost 20% more than the Bully Kutta (although some can exceed 200lb in weight).  Travis was not in great shape compared to a regular wild chimpanzee, and his heavier build would likely work to his detriment in comparison.  An important point to consider here is how fragile humans are compared to many other animals and how limited the defensive (and offensive) capabilities of a unarmed human is compared to a mastiff-type dog like a Bully Kutta.  Although several humans have received serious injuries from chimpanzees before, it doesn't mean that a chimpanzee can inflict the same injuries to another wild animal with the same degree of effectiveness.  Chimpanzees aren't accustomed to taking on another similar-sized wild animal in a combative situation (chimps usually engage in hostile encounters as a group and prefer to "bluff" or intimidate rivals before actual contact is made), and will more readily "gang up" on a single rival than take on one one-on-one.  Male chimps do fight one other on occasion, though.  Like other members of the canid family, the Bully Kutta has specialized teeth (pointed front teeth for piercing and holding, carnassials for shearing, back teeth for crushing), and its bite can cause serious damage to a chimpanzee.  A Bully Kutta (especially one trained to fight) is one of the top fighting dogs at absolute weights, and its endurance and quickness will exceed the chimp's.  Even though Travis has impressive strength, grabbing hands, and decent mobility, it won't be able to prevent the agile, fierce Bully Kutta from seizing its body with its jaws and won't be able to inflict the same level of damage to the dog as the dog will inflict upon it.  Travis can win, but won't be favored.  Bully Kutta wins.

2. Travis vs Tosa: The weight range of a Tosa (Japanese Mastiff) varies quite a bit depending on the area it's from, but a big one can weigh close to Travis' weight.  Tosas are very skilled fighting dogs, and are the "wrestlers" of the dog world.  Their bodies are supple and strong, and they can be difficult to physically control in a battle.  As with the Bully Kutta, the Tosa's dangerous bite is its bread-and-butter in this fight.  A chimpanzee's teeth can certainly inflict a nasty bite (some of its teeth on the top and bottom are long enough to cause puncturing wounds), its teeth aren't on the same level as a pure predator's when it comes to inflicting damage to another animal.  Simply put, the Tosa will be able to injure Travis with greater ease than Travis will be able to injure it.  The Tosa will also have more experience taking on a single, similar-sized opponent than Travis will.  Travis may have the advantage in strength and the asset of grabbing hands, but the Tosa will have greater speed, agility, endurance, and offensive weaponry.  If Travis had the same attributes at his given weight (200lb) as a wild chimpanzee, he would have a much greater chance of succeeding in this battle and might actually be favored.  As is, the Tosa wins.

3. Main event: Wild chimpanzee vs game Bully Kutta: The Bully Kutta will weigh about 30% more than the chimpanzee.  Bully Kuttas have thick bones and muscular bodies.  These agile dogs have been used for guarding, protecting, and fighting.  A wild chimpanzee might succeed in deterring a pet Bully Kutta from advancing upon in with an intimidating display, but a trained Bully Kutta will attack readily.  The jaws of the canine will be hard for the chimpanzee to avoid (even with its grabbing hands and strength), and its own bite will not have the same kind of effect as the Bully Kutta's.  The dog will have a better chance to finish the ape than the other way around.  Even though the wild chimpanzee will be better than Travis in many ways (greater mobility, better quickness, etc.) its smaller size (130lb compared to Travis' 200lb) will make it less capable of physically warding off the Bully Kutta's ferocious attack.  A key for any animal defeating a dog is to avoid the canid's jaws while applying its own offense, and the chimpanzee in this situation won't be able to pull this off on most occasions.  The larger Bully Kutta wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.