Interspecies Conflict/Balrog

Question
Balrog -  demon from the lord of the rings (armed with the very lot of fire, fire sword and fiery rope)

What is your weight estimate??

vs

a) 750kg kodiak bear
1 ) 5t megatherium
2) 7t ankylosaurus
3) 10t tyrannosaurus
4) 11t triceratops
5) 18t songhua river mammoth
6) 100t argentinosaurus
7) utahraptor pride = 8x 700kg utahraptor (work together)
8) giganotosaurus pride 1 x 11t great speciemen, 2 x 9t normal specimen, 2 x 3t young specimen giganotosaurus (work together)

Answer
Hello David.

I watched several scenes with the Balrog to try to get an idea of its height and weight.  There weren't many scenes that the creature was close to anything to make a comparative measurement to (except Gandalf), but it is probably close to 5.5m in height.  Its weight is difficult to determine because we don't know its exact makeup.  It appears to made out of a combination of rock and fire, and these two have vastly different weights.  It can't be ruled out that despite its makeup it is able to do physical things that aren't realistically possible in a real-world setting, so its weight can't be determined simply by observations of its movements and actions.  When it walked toward the heroes in "You Shall Not Pass!" scene, it was making heavy thudding noises with its weight as it advanced.  This makes me believe the Balrog's makeup is possibly similar to that of the cave troll.  It probably weighs at least 5t; perhaps even more (depending on its density, which is an unknown); possibly much lighter (if a vast amount of its makeup is fire).  The weight of the Balrog won't really be the determining factor in these fights; its high body temperature will.  The Balrog's use of fire (especially the fact it is shrouded in flames) will be a huge asset to it in all of these matchups.  

Balrog vs 750kg Kodiak bear: The Balrog will weigh at least 6 or 7 times as much as the Kodiak bear.  The Kodiak bear will have trouble employing its offense (biting, clawing, swiping) because simple physical contact with the Balrog will immediately injure the bear.  Most animals are afraid of fire, and the Kodiak bear will retreat just based on that.  The assets that make the bear such a powerful adversary in its habitat (strength, endurance, weaponry, etc.) won't come into play against this fiery creature.  Balrog wins.

Balrog vs 5t Megatherium: These creatures may be close in weight.  The Balrog's height will exceed the Megatherium's by at least 10%.  Megatherium had a very tough hide (tiny pieces of bone under its fur created a type of armor) that protected it from many attacks.  It also had powerful swiping forelimbs armed with claws to defend itself with.  Despite Megatherium's attributes, it will be too slow to effectively attack the Balrog or move away when the Balrog's fire comes close enough to make contact.  The Balrog's use of fire is simply too much of an asset for any animal (present or prehistoric) to deal with successfully.  Balrog wins.

Balrog vs 7t Ankylosaurus: The Ankylosaurus may exceed the Balrog's weight by approximately 40%.  Ankylosaurus was a squat creature with thick protective armor and a powerful tail armed with a heavy club.  Even the largest theropods weren't guaranteed a meal when coming across it.  A mighty swing from the Ankylosaurus' tail would certainly cause damage, but the use of fire by the Balrog will be the great equalizer.  The Ankylosaurus is one of the few animals that might have a chance against a Balrog, but it won't be favored.  The Balrog's use of fire is an asset that can't be matched by any present or prehistoric animal, and that will make victory close to certain for the fiery creature.  Edge to Balrog.  

Balrog vs 10t Tyrannosaurus: The Tyrannosaurus will probably weigh more than the Balrog, and this advantage may be around 25% greater.  The Tyrannosaurus will probably be able to look the Balrog right in the eye when standing upright.  The extremely strong jaws of the Tyrannosaurus are one of the most formidable weapons any animal has ever possessed, and these jaws can certainly injure the Balrog, but once again the dinosaur's reaction to seeing flames and the Balrog's offensive use of fire will dampen the hopes for the theropod in this battle.  Balrog wins.

Balrog vs 11t Triceratops: The Triceratops may weigh at least 35-40% more than the Balrog.  The Triceratops was one of the most formidable herbivores ever to exist due to its huge skull armed with long horns and a large neck frill.  It could effectively defend itself against the fearsome Tyrannosaurus on many occasions.  A forceful thrust of the Triceratops' horns propelled by its great weight would potentially injure or cripple the Balrog (depending on how durable the Balrog's body is).  However, as with the other matchups, the Balrog's use of fire will make the Triceratops back off and likely retreat.  Edge to Balrog.

Balrog vs 18t Songhua river mammoth: The Songhua river mammoth may weigh as much as 3 1/2 times more than the Balrog.  The weight of this huge mammoth (which is now known to be a Steppe mammoth that reached a smaller size) will be enough to knock the Balrog over and make it vulnerable to being trampled, but the mammoth won't be able to endure coming into contact with the intense heat of the Balrog's body.  Even if the mammoth isn't deterred right away by the sight of fire, it will break off any attack once it makes contact with the Balrog.  The mammoth has no way to protect itself from fire.  Balrog wins.

Balrog vs 100t Argentinosaurus: The Argentinosaurus may weigh over 20 times as much as the Balrog.  The huge Argentinosaurus will be able to injure Balrog with a tail strike or with its crushing weight, but mobility and speed will be a factor.  The fiery Balrog will eventually be able to use its fire to make the Argentinosaurus look to escape.  The Balrog might not be able to kill the Argentinosaurus without persistence, but amking it back off won't be that difficult.  As long as the Balrog can apply its offense and stay out of the way, it should win.  Edge to Balrog.

Balrog vs 8 Utahraptors (700kg each) working together: The Balrog may actually come close to exceeding the weight of all 8 Utahraptors combined.  There's probably a very small list of animals (past or present) that would be able to stand up to an attack by 8 Utahraptors.  Utahraptors are quick and well-armed (teeth, claws on all limbs), and a group working together can be an extremely effective fighting force.  The trouble the Utahraptors will have here is being able to bite and claw without having close contact with the super-hot Balrog.  The dromaeosaurids won't be able to stay attached to the Balrog long enough to make any headway, and their bodies won't offer any protection from the heat.  The Utahraptors may be quick enough to avoid the Balrog's fiery offense from a distance, but any attempt to attack will put them in peril.  Balrog wins.

Balrog vs 5 Giganotosauruses (3t, 9t, 11t) working together: The quintet of Giganotosauruses may weigh approximately 7 times as much as the Balrog.  The Giganotosaurus group will have their mighty jaws and sharp teeth as their potent offense, but crushing the Balrog's body in these jaws might be a tough challenge with flames coming out at them.  If the theropods attack all at once without being initially deterred, they will have a chance to subdue the Balrog.  It's just unlikely that any animal at all will treat the intense heat with indifference.  The numbers and might enjoyed by the Giganotosaurus group is enough to win in theory, but these dinosaurs will realistically back away once they realize the danger the flames pose.  Balrog wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK