Interspecies Conflict/elite samurai

5 x elite japanese samurai (armed with katana and light armour) they fight all to the death

a) 250kg wild boar
1) 250kg lion
2) 450kg ussuri brown bear
3) 900kg african buffalo
4) 3t hippo
5) 5t megatherium
6) 4t allosaurus
7) 1,2t american bison
8) 8x 65kg spotted hyena
9) 4,5t allosaurus

1) balrog vs 150t múmak

Hello David.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 250kg wild boar: The wild boar will be a dangerous opponent here based on its tough hide, sharp tusks, aggression, and good lateral quickness.  The boar will be able to outrun the samurais, so the men might not be able to "set up" in ideal positions.  If the arena is somewhat closed off where the samurais have a good chance to combine their efforts, they can succeed in killing the boar before it kills all of them.  The light armor will help the samurais take a few charges without it being fatal, and their swords (katanas)can penetrate the suid's hide if their strikes are precise.  This really depends on the arena and the mentality of the boar, and the same result won't always occur with each scenario.  In open area it's probably a 50/50; closed in arena might favor the samurais.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 250kg lion: The lion will have advantages in speed and agility, and its ability to easily kill a single samurai will give it a decent chance against all 5 of them.  The lion's hide won't be as tough as the boar's, but its more diversified offense (clawing and biting) will make it just as dangerous.  If the lion tackles one samurai and doesn't acknowledge the danger posed by the other 4 that it's not focusing on, the cat can be quickly dispatched by the collective effort of those that remain.  The lion may not know what threat the samurais pose, and it's strategy might not be sound as a result.  A lion knows how to approach a buffalo when attempting to subdue it because he knows what a buffalo can potentially do to anything that attacks it.  If the lion can figure out that the swords can stab and hurt him and that he needs to fight in such a way to prevent this from happening, he will have a good chance of winning (especially in an open area).  Only in a small, closed-off arena will the lion be seriously challenged, and even then he will kill some of his attackers.  Samurais are great at using their dangerous weapons, but non-human opponents will be something they won't be trained as well for.  If the lion is somehow familiar enough with the samurais' abilities to defend itself properly (like it would against an opponent it's familiar with - a clan of spotted hyenas, perhaps), it will win.  If the lion doesn't know what to look for or doesn't have any room to maneuver, it can possibly lose.  Edge to lion.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 450kg Ussuri brown bear: The Ussuri brown bear won't be as quick as the lion or as mobile as the boar, but its size, strength, and powerful paw swipes will give it the ability to dispatch any samurais that get close to it.  A single stab with a katana won't likely kill a bear of this size without great precision, and the first wound the bear receives will likely put in a rage-induced frenzy.  Brown bears are strong, durable, and have great stamina.  Even if the bear's claws don't breach the samurais' armor, the impact of its paws will be able to cause bodily injury.  The samurais may mortally wound the bear before it's all said and done, but they will likely be dispatched by the bruin before that happens.  Again, as with the lion, the bear will need to have an idea of what type of threat it's up against (and in contrast, the samurais will probably be familiar with the capabilities of a brown bear and proceed accordingly).  As they say, the 1st rule of war is "know your enemy", and that goes both ways.  These types of fights depend on so many factors, but I'd say the Ussuri brown bear has the edge overall.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 900kg African buffalo: This will be a very large African buffalo.  The African buffalo is a very powerful animal with thick horns and sharp hooves, and it is practiced at dealing with multiple opponents.  I don't think the samurais will have much success with precision, and several strikes and stabs will likely be needed to overcome the buffalo.  African buffalo are very aggressive and unpredictable, and their horns can be driven into an opponent with considerable force.  The African buffalo here will likely attack relentlessly with little provocation, and the samurais will be scrambling to use their katanas effectively against this large, fierce opponent.  The samurais can succeed, but I don't like their chances on most occasions.  Edge to African buffalo.   

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 3t hippo: A hippo is considered by many to be the most dangerous animal in Africa.  Hippos kill many people each year, and they are a dominant force at the river's edge.  A hippo's jaws can open well over a meter wide, and its sharp canines and forward-pointing incisors can cause serious injuries in a short amount of time.  Its skin is very thick as well.  The samurais will be able to injure the hippo if they can get close to it, but the huge mammal is rather quick for its size in short bursts, and the men can easily be knocked over and crushed (which will be a bigger concern to them than the hippo's bite).  The samurais can win if their katanas are able to impale vital organs, but the more likely scenario will be the hippo crushing the men underfoot.  Edge to hippo.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 5t Megatherium: Megatherium (giant ground sloth) was over 6m in length and could stand close to 5m tall.  Megatherium will be protected (to some degree) by small pieces of bone that from an armor-like layer beneath its fur, and its huge clawed forelimbs will be powerful enough to easily take out any samurai that gets close.  The samurais will be able to get into a decent formation before their attack due to the Megatherium's relatively slow movements, but their katanas won't easily penetrate the giant sloth's hide.  Megatherium occasionally had to defend itself from Smilodons, and it will likely be able to hold its own against these samurais.  The vital areas on the Megatherium will be hard to reach as well.  Edge to Megatherium.   

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 4t Allosaurus: The Allosaurus will have the ability to kill a samurai instantly with one bite from its huge jaws (full of serrated, blade-like teeth) or by crushing him with its weight.  The swords of the samurais won't easily reach vital areas on the theropod (an Allosaurus this big will stand close to 5m tall), and the mobility of the dinosaur will make it difficult for the samurais to get into the position they want to be in.  The Allosaurus sometimes dealt with the swinging spiked tail of Stegosaurus, and this threat won't pose any danger greater than that.  Edge to Allosaurus.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 1.2t American bison: This will be similar to the African buffalo battle.  The American bison isn't generally as aggressive or combative as the African buffalo, but it can still be a very dangerous animal.  As soon as the bison realizes the threat the samurais pose (likely with the first katana strike), it will begin to battle fiercely.  The same result will likely occur as with the other bovid.  Edge to American bison.

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 8 65kg spotted hyenas: This will depend a lot on how the hyenas will react to the presence of the samurais and whether or not they recognize what threat they pose.  Hyenas are durable animals with extremely strong jaws and great stamina.  They often hunt and fight as a clan (and that fact will help them here).  A katana can easily kill a spotted hyena with a precise strike, but the samurais will need to be prepared to utilize their swords defensively after getting bowled over or chomped on by any of the hyenas.  If the hyenas know what the threat is (humans with stabbing/slicing weapons) and can strategize like they do against a well-known opponent, they will have a good chance of winning.  Without knowing how they will react, though, it's very difficult to accurately assign an outcome.  With greater numbers and a group mentality, I'd give the spotted hyenas the edge.  

5 elite Japanese samurais vs 4.5t Allosaurus: This will be the same as the 4t Allosaurus.  This Allosaurus will be a little bit large and a little bit slower, but the same result will likely occur.  If there was a way for the samurais to practice dispatching specific types of animals, their chances would greatly increase, but this and other matchups will be new ground for them.  The skills they have that will be effective against other humans won't translate to success (on the same level) with dangerous animals, but it won't mean they won't have a chance.  Edge to Allosaurus.  

Balrog vs 150t múmak: Múmak will weigh approximately 30 times as much as Balrog and will have a shoulder height about 75% taller than Balrog's standing height.  Balrog (the fiery demon creature from "The Lord Of The Rings") has the ability to project flames is various shapes and forms.  Múmak (huge elephant-like creature from "The Lord Of The Rings") will have a huge size and weight advantage over Balrog and will probably have the physical ability to crush the demon, but intentionally making direct contact with great heat will be something the huge mammal won't readily do.  The múmak won't have a good defense against Balrog's flames, and its lack of great speed will make it difficult to avoid the demon's fiery attacks.  If the múmak adopts a berserker mindset for this battle (which isn't out of the question), it can win, but the more likely outcome is a victory for Balrog and his arsenal of heat.  Edge to Balrog.      

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.