Interspecies Conflict/giant crab

Hi BK!you have a bit disappointed in the answer of samuraj, I want to clarify that he is a big animal scientist but not fo human ancient warriors! which it is my specialty over which the animals, have very underestimated samuraj, I noticed that both you and the other experts tend to downplay human capacity  basing the average modern man , sedentary, frail and flabby, even the shadow of strong ancient warriors, in this case the elite! samuraj were extraordinarily trained whith very great attributes psicophisic! the hide of wild boar resist to very hardened steel?? very impressive wildboar no predator could pierce his skin!! only animal that could always win vs 5 elitè samuraj is allosaurus and sometimes megatherium! but wildboar!! the single gladiators defeated much stronger beasts than wildboar! I would like to explain to each fight how it would really gone, but it takes too much time at one time, for future letter I will explain the potential of the samuraj in every conflict, all will eventually topped with a video of a japanese guy who kills with his bare hands bulls!
the other day talking with my friends at the bar, I said that crab pound for pound is the beast fighter in the animal kingdom, My friends laughed, but crabs is incredible strong proportionally size, very hard shiel, terrible sharp claws, great dextery and lateral mobility, speed in the back, aggressive, ability to move smoothly both in water and in the ground; ok now choose a species that best represents the majority of crabs and scaled up parity of others unlocked beast!
giant crab vs gorilla
giant crab vs grizzly
giant crab vs coccodrile
giant crab vs tiger
gian crab vs white shark
giant crab vs elephant
giant crab vs hippo

Hello Roby.

Analyzing battles between humans (armed or unarmed) and animals isn't one of my strengths, but it's safe to say that physically fit and trained humans (including samurais) are certainly capable of extraordinary things.  One advantage that a human may have on some occasions is knowing what to expect from a wild animal to a higher degree than the animal will know what to expect from the human.  For example, a samurai will likely know enough about a wild boar to form a strategy and actively seek to avoid the weaponry the boar possesses, but the wild boar (which doesn't just come across samurais in the wild) might not know what dangers to look for and brazenly attack without knowing the proper way to proceed safely.  We may not agree on the level of success a samurai would have against certain wild animals, but I certainly may have underestimated the ability of the samurai (and the samurai groups) in such battles.  If the samurais involved in the animal battles are somehow experienced in fighting various wild animals (instead of having the use of their skills geared primarily against other armed humans), I believe their chances in those matchups will be much better.  I don't doubt the ability of a katana to penetrate an animal's hide, it's whether or not the samurai will get into the position to properly perform this action.  Thank you for the candid feedback; perhaps we will be able to discuss it more soon.

For the giant crab, we'll use the common shore crab (Carcinus maenas).  If we increase the size of this crab to the size of these other animals and its movement is still the same as it is in ratio to its own body, the crab will have an unfair advantage in these battles.  We must consider that the crab will get a bit slower with the increase in size and body weight.  However, the animals fighting the crab won't have any experience dealing with a giant crustacean, and that may work to their detriment.  The common shore crab has a shell that measures about 4cm in length, 10cm in width, and the creature weighs about the same as 3 golf balls.  Because its heavy shell will make it "denser" than most of its opponents, it may not match the actual size of its opponent even if its weight is the same.

giant crab vs gorilla: The giant crab will have the advantages of an armored shell and 2 powerful pincers.  The gorilla is a very strong animal with long arms, grabbing hands, and a very powerful bite.  Its canine teeth can measure 5cm long, and these can cause serious injuries.  The gorilla isn't experienced at taking on other animals of another species, and it won't know how to proceed effectively against this giant crab.  The claws of the crab will be able to grip and impede the movement of the gorilla, and the gorilla's offense (pulling, biting, pounding, etc.) won't have much effect on the crustacean without precision.  Common shore crabs often battle one another in nature, and the combat experience of the crab will likely be higher than the gorilla's (gorillas usually settle disputes with other gorillas with intimidating displays and vocalization rather than actual fighting).  Crab wins.  

giant crab vs grizzly: The grizzly bear is a strong animal with great endurance and impressive weaponry (jaws, swiping paws, 4" claws).  Bears are great fighters, and the aggressive grizzly may be the most formidable bear pound-for-pound.  A powerful blow from the bear's paw might deter the crab or even stun it, but the crustacean's shell will protect it from most of the biting and clawing the bear can dish out.  The pincers of the crab will be able to slice into areas of the bear and even impede its movement.  It's likely the bear will break off its attack after the initial contact, and the outcome may be a stalemate.  Because the crab will be better protected from injury, it gets the nod.  Slight edge to crab.

giant crab vs crocodile: The crocodile has jaws that can shut with a tremendous amount of force and an armor-like hide (covered in osteoderms, or bony growths).  It's teeth are conical (made to grip, not slice), and it typically kills by drowning.  The crocodile's mobility and endurance aren't great on land, but these traits improve considerably in the water.  The crab's claws will have a hard time cutting into many parts of the crocodile's body, but they may hinder the reptile's movement some.  The crocodile's bite might neutralize a claw or damage a smaller appendage, but a stalemate will be possible.  The crab's better movement on land will be an advantage, though.  In the water the crocodile will have better power in its movements, and a grabbed claw followed by a "death roll" might put the crab in trouble.  The crab might be able to grab the crocodile with its claws in the water, but without being able to "base" itself, it might have trouble advancing its position.  Edge to crab on land; edge to crocodile in water.

giant crab vs tiger: The tiger is a terrific hunter of large animals.  It is powerful, quick, agile, athletic, and experienced at applying a killing throat bite.  The tigers teeth and claws are its weapons.  The tiger will be quick enough to avoid the crab initially, but attacking the crustacean will be problematic with the presence of the armored shell.  The tiger's teeth and claws won't easily penetrate the crab's body, and avoiding both pincers will be difficult for the cat (and the pincers can inflict damage).  The tiger will need experience dealing with giant crabs before it can consistently overpower them.  Edge to crab.

giant crab vs white shark: The great white shark is fast in the water, has tough scaly skin, and a tremendously damaging bite (many rows of very sharp teeth).  The shark might be able to remove a claw or appendage with a well-placed bite, but the crab's claws can grab it and prevent it from swimming like it wants to.  Both have weapons that can hurt the other, but the crab has better protection.  Edge to crab.

giant crab vs elephant: The elephant is a sturdy animal with impressive strength, a flexible trunk, and sharp tusks.  The elephant can crush or impale a smaller animal with ease, but a 6-ton common shore crab will have a tremendous amount of grabbing and cutting power in its huge pincers as well as protective armor.  The elephant has the potential to win, but won't have the experience dealing with a 2-clawed crustacean.  Edge to crab.

giant crab vs hippo: The hippo is a very dangerous African animal with wide-opening jaws with impressive teeth (canines for slashing; incisors for stabbing).  It also has very thick skin (15cm in some places).  The hippo's bite can hurt the crab if the right area is bitten, but the pinching claws of the crab can eventually rip into the hippo.  Both can win depending on how things play out, but with both animals having weaponry at a similar level, the protection from attack is the deciding factor.  Regardless of venue (land or water), crab has the edge.

It's not easy to predict what will happen when one animal is scaled up so radically, but that's my take on these matchups.  A crab seems like a tough opponent for anything close to its size.  The common shore crab seemed like a typical crab that would be good to use here, but others (like the coconut crab or the stone crab perhaps) may be even more formidable for their size.    

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.