Interspecies Conflict/X-Men

Question
Hi again BK, how have you been? I've been great over all. So getting onto my question, which would be who would win these wolverine matchups? Now what got me thinking of these questions ( and I'm going to talk a little about myself here) is the fact that I'm a big comic book fan(I'm also a big fan of rock music but I wont get too off topic.) and wolverine is one of my favorite character's in marvel comics. so it got me thinking of these matchups, and with out further or do here they are.

Wolverine vs Dhole

Wolverine vs African Wild Dog

Wolverine vs Pitbull

Wolverine vs Gray Kangaroo

Wolverine vs Reticulated Python

Wolverine vs Cheetah

Who's more aggressive a Wolverine or a Hippo?

Wolverine vs Green Anaconda

Thank you

Answer
Hello Trish.  Good to hear from you.  Everything's been pretty good overall here.

Wolverine vs Dhole: These animals will weigh about the same.  Wolverines are famous for their ferocity and boldness, and are among the strongest mammals on a pound-for-pound basis.  A wolverine can hold its own or soundly defeat just about any other animal close to its weight range, and the dingo is no exception.  The wolverine's thick fur provides a certain degree of protection in a fight, and its supple body allows it to battle from various positions with great effect.  Its powerful jaws can crack or crush bone, and its sharp claws (perfect for digging) can inflict serious injury to an adversary.  Wolverines have been known to drive larger predators (like bears and wolves) away from kills, and are capable of killing animals much larger than themselves (including moose slowed by deep snow).  The dingo is a Australian predator that has good lateral quickness and a solid bite, but this canid not fare too well against a wolverine that has a more impressive build and a more diversified arsenal.  A better matchup for a wolverine would be the African wild dog or a red wolf (both are close to double a wolverine's weight).  Wolverine wins.   

Wolverine vs African Wild Dog: The wolverine will weigh over 55% of the African wild dog's weight.  The wolverine is a very strong animal pound-for-pound (at the top among mammals), and can be bold and aggressive.  The mustelid has thick fur, sharp claws, and a bone-crushing bite.  The African wild dog is nimble, and has a strong bite force of its own, but it typically takes on other animals in a group.  In a realistic situation the wolverine will likely succeed in driving the wild dog away, but a persistent one could make a good fight of it.  The wolverine has a more robust and supple body than the canid, and it has a greater variety of weapons at its disposal.  Close battle, but the wolverine has the slightest of edges.  Wolverine wins.

Wolverine vs Pitbull: A "pitbull" is a term that can be used for a few breeds of dogs that are similar, but in most cases it is referring to the American Pit Bull Terrier.  An American Pit Bull Terrier will weigh about 50% more than a wolverine.  Wolverines are one of the strongest land mammals pound-for-pound, and their ferocity is legendary.  Wolverines have sharp teeth and claws, and thick fur that protects them well in conflicts.  Their bite force enables them to crunch through frozen meat and bone, and their powerful forepaws can claw with great effect.  There are few animals in a wolverine's weight range that can compete with it in a tussle.  In most matchups involving an American Pit Bull Terrier, I default to using the best representation of the breed (a game-bred fighter) instead of a regular pet APBT.  The APBT, if game-bred, is among the most formidable dogs pound-for-pound.  It is very strong, athletic, relentless, and durable.  This dog typically attacks by rushing in to land a bite (usually on the neck or face), and not letting go.  If it isn't outweighed, it will use its muscular body to violently shake its head side-to-side (and pull straight back) to increase the damage caused by its jaws.  The APBT will likely rush in and try to latch onto the wolverine, and the wolverine will probably roll on its back (a tactic it occasionally uses), grab and claw with its paws, and bite the canine with its jaws.  The APBT will fight on despite injury, and will likely wear the wolverine down with its attack.  A regular pet American Pit Bull Terrier will likely lose to a wolverine, but a game-bred one won't.  Although the wolverine would probably have the edge at parity, it's giving up over 20lb here.  Edge to APBT.

Wolverine vs Gray Kangaroo: The Eastern gray kangaroo will weigh over 3 times as much as a large wolverine.  The wolverine is strong, fierce, and well-armed (jaws and claws), but large animals it overpowers are often encumbered in some way (slowed by deep snow, for example).  A wolverine would certainly be able to kill a gray kangaroo in a setting of deep snow by clawing it and biting it in the neck, but on solid, level ground the mustelid will be in for a tough challenge.  The stocky gray kangaroo defends itself by delivering powerful kicks with its large clawed feet (while using its tail for support), and one of these kicks could seriously injure a wolverine.  The gray kangaroo is practiced at defending itself against dingoes (which weigh about the same as a wolverine but have much better lateral quickness), and a wolverine won't be able to easily avoid the marsupial's kicks if it attacks from the front.  The kangaroo will be in trouble if the wolverine somehow gets attached to its upper body, but on most occasions the mustelid will be repelled.  Edge to gray kangaroo.

Wolverine vs Reticulated Python: The reticulated python can weigh around 5-7 times as much as a wolverine.  Wolverines don't come across large constrictors in the wild (wolverines live in cold regions while most large constrictors live where it's hot), and one might not have enough experience to safely deal with a reticulated python.  The wolverine will have some advantages on land (more mobility, greater stamina), but might not know what it's getting itself into if it attacks without caution.  Reticulated pythons aren't practiced at fighting face-to-face on land, but their aggression and quick-striking ability can pose problems for the mustelid.  If the python latches onto the wolverine with its backward-pointing teeth, the mammal will have a small amount of time to bite and claw its way to freedom before the coils begin to advance around its body.  Most weasels instinctively aim for the back of the neck when biting, and the wolverine can kill the python if it violently targets this area (and moves well enough to stay out of the snake's coils).  A large constrictor can often be sluggish at times due to lack of heat or the weight of a large meal, and any of these snakes in this condition will be in trouble against an attacking wolverine.  A reticulated python at its best will be a handful for a wolverine with its size and strength advantage.  The python will move with greater ease in water and will be favored in this matchup in shallow or deep water, but a land battle will be close.  If the wolverine had as much experience dealing with constrictors as the honey badger does, I'd probably give it a better chance in this showdown.  However, without being practiced at fighting one, the wolverine probably won't win most of the time on land against this much larger foe if the snake is "on its game".  Without regard to climate, edge to reticulated python on land; reticulated python wins in water.

Wolverine vs Cheetah: The cheetah will weigh over 3 times as much as the wolverine.  Cheetahs are built for speed (slender builds; non-retractable claws to act as cleats to grip the ground for acceleration), and aren't as adept at fighting as other types of cats (like leopards & jaguars).  Cheetahs are solo hunters, and can't afford to sustain injury in a conflict (an injury may impede hunting and lead to starvation).  Wolverines are aggressive, durable mustelids with strong jaws (capable of crunching through frozen meat & bone) and sharp claws (suitable for strong digging & raking).  Cheetahs can bring down larger animals that flee from them by knocking them to the ground and finishing them with a throat bite, but a wolverine has the weaponry, flexibility, and strength (among the strongest mammals pound-for-pound) to fight back better than any typical prey item on a cheetah's menu.  Wolverines rarely back down from a fight (even against more formidable opponents), and cheetahs usually back down from fights (even against less formidable opponents).  In a realistic encounter the wolverine will drive the cheetah away, and in a down-and-dirty battle the cheetah will probably have the size and strength to dominate initially, but will likely tire before it actually makes a kill.  Depends on how you look at it; close to 50/50.

Q: Who's more aggressive a Wolverine or a Hippo?
A: Wolverines are aggressive when they need to be (attacking prey, defending themselves, protecting a carcass, taking over a carcass, etc.), and are famous for their ferocity.  The hippopotamus is also well-known for being fierce and aggressive; it kills more people in Africa than any other large animal.  When hippos are at the river's edge, they are extremely territorial and will violently attack invaders with their huge jaws.  When hippos venture out onto land (which isn't very often), they aren't as confident and don't have the urge to defend the area they occupy in the same way they ardently defend their aquatic home.  There's very few animals on the planet I'd rate higher in terms of aggressiveness than a male hippo in a river he patrols or at the river's edge (and those animals would probably all be insects!).  A wolverine at its best might be more aggressive than a hippo on dry land, but will be a cut below a hippo in the water protecting it's territory.  I'd give the edge to the hippo.

Wolverine vs Green Anaconda: A green anaconda can weigh several times (about 9) more than a wolverine.  A wolverine rarely exceeds 42lb in weight, but a large anaconda can occasionally approach 400lb in weight.  Green anacondas are powerful constrictors that can asphyxiate an animal as large as a horse in their coils.  They are excellent ambush predators, but aren't great face-to-face combatants on land.  Wolverines are among the strongest mammals pound-for-pound, and are fantastic fighters.  They often attempt to drive wolves and bears off of kills, and rarely back down from a fight.  Wolverines have sharp claws (good for digging) and strong jaws capable of crunching through frozen meat and bone.  Although the wolverine can hold its own against anything in its weight range, it's giving up a lot of weight and size against a green anaconda.  The wolverine will have advantages in mobility and stamina, but it probably won't be able to prevent the anaconda from latching onto it with its jaws (which are hard to escape from due to backward-pointing teeth).  Once the anaconda seizes the wolverine, the mustelid will have little time to struggle free before the coils of the snake wrap around its body.  It's certainly possible for the wolverine prevail by avoiding the anaconda's strike while delivering quick bites of its own (and causing the snake to fatigue), but the odds will be against it when facing a foe this large.  The anaconda will lose if it's disadvantaged (slow after eating a large meal, sluggish due to lack of warmth, tired after exertion, etc), but will be favored if it's healthy and active.  Any water battle will increase the anaconda's chances profoundly.  Edge to green anaconda.

Wolverine is probably my favorite of the X-Men as well.  Nightcrawler and Storm are pretty cool, too.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK