Interspecies Conflict/The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Hi again BK its great to be talking to you again and how have you been this week? I've been doing good and I have been doing my usual thing which is reading comic books, listening to rock music and working. So any ways on to my question which would be who would win these wolf conflicts. Here goes.

3 Gray Wolves vs Wild boar

3 Gray Wolves vs Wildebeest

3 Gray Wolves vs Sable Antelope

Gray Wolf vs White Lipped Pecary

Gray Wolf vs American Pitbull

Gray Wolf vs Capybara

How many Gray Wolves would it take to bring down the following animals? Zebra, Moose, Cape Buffalo, American Bison, Giant Eland, Yak, Gaur.

Gray Wolf vs Raccoon(at equal size.)

Thank You

Hello Trish.  Good to hear from you; this week has been rather enjoyable.

3 Gray Wolves vs Wild boar: The wild boar (440lb) will weigh slightly more than all 3 wolves combined (130lb x 3 = 390lb).  Only the largest males in a wolf pack occasionally reach 130lb (most are closer to 110lb, and many may be even smaller depending on the region), but we'll assume the wolves here are 3 top-sized males.  Gray wolves are excellent teamwork predators, but seldom attack when the risk is greater than the reward.  Wild boars are often very aggressive, have tough hides that present problems for attackers, and sharp tusks that can cause serious injuries in a short amount of time.  The wolves will need to attack from all sides to divide the boar's attention, but the lateral quickness of the boar will make it a dangerous proposition.  With predators practiced at attacking together the group is greater than the sum of their parts, and gray wolves have strong bites and solid endurance.  In a past answer I gave the edge to a 440lb wild boar against 3 gray wolves weighing 110lb each ("wild boar" from 9/17/14), but with these wolves being a bit larger, the battle will be closer.  Close to 50/50; slight edge to gray wolves.

3 Gray Wolves vs Wildebeest: The wildebeest will weigh about 4 1/2 times as much as each wolf. Gray wolves often attack animals that are similarly-armed as a wildebeest (elk, for example), but wildebeest are practiced at defending themselves against multiple opponents (African wild dogs, hyenas, etc.).  The key will be for the trio of wolves to inflict damage over time while avoiding the offense (hooves and horns) of the antelope.  If the 3 wolves can grip onto the anterior and posterior areas of the wildebeest to effectively immobilize it, the carnivores will have a chance to pull it to the ground.  Edge to gray wolves.

3 Gray Wolves vs Sable Antelope: A very large sable antelope can weigh close to 5 times as much as a gray wolf, but most maximum-sized ones will be somewhere between 4 and 5 times as heavy.  Sable antelopes can run fast (about 35mph), but they will typically stand their ground when attacked.  With powerful builds and 4ft long curved horns, the aggressive sable antelope can be a dangerous opponent (even for lions and leopards).  3 average-sized adult male gray wolves (100-110lb) probably won't succeed every time, but 3 full-sized males (130lb) probably will.  Edge to gray wolves.   

Gray Wolf vs White Lipped Peccary: A gray wolf can weigh almost 50% more than a white-lipped peccary.  The white-lipped peccary can be a fierce fighter in defense of itself, and its sharp canine teeth (and strong jaws) can be dangerous weapons.  It is sometimes attacked by jaguars and cougars (which are individually more formidable than a single gray wolf), but a group of peccaries is often needed to repel these carnivorous cats.  Both of these animals will have similar lateral quickness, and their weaponry (bites) will be reasonably comparable.  The difference will be size.  It's likely the white-lipped peccary will repel the gray wolf in a realistic situation, but if the wolf is determined, it should have the edge.  Single gray wolves have conquered animals far bigger than a peccary.  Edge to gray wolf.

Gray Wolf vs American Pitbull:  A gray wolf can weigh twice as much as an American Pit Bull Terrier.  An APBT that is not game-bred (a generational process in which the dog is bred to be a fighter that refuses to abate in its attack) and merely domestic will not have a great chance against a gray wolf, but a game-bred one will.  Game-bred APBTs are custom-made for combat with another canid, and have the power, athleticism, bite force, durability, and mentality to be great at it.  Gray wolves are typically physically superior than domestic dogs (wild instincts, stronger jaws, more powerful builds, etc.), but aren't as accustomed to one-on-one fighting as an APBT that's trained to do just that (wolves usually deal with other animals in a pack).  However, gray wolves are capable of bringing down herbivores much larger than themselves solo, and occasionally have conflicts with animals much more dangerous than an APBT (cougars, bears, cervids, suids, etc.).  Most domestic dogs (even trained ones) won't stand a chance against a gray wolf without a weight advantage, but the APBT is an exception.  The APBT will rush in immediately to attack the wolf, and the wolf will attempt to counter with its huge bite.  The intensity and duration of the APBT's attack will have a small chance of wearing the gray wolf down before the wolf's bite does enough damage to subdue the APBT, but the odds are with the larger canid.  An APBT has few rivals on a pound-for-pound basis, but no dog will be favored against a gray wolf weighing twice as much as it does.  Edge to gray wolf.   

Gray Wolf vs Capybara: A very large capybara can actually exceed the weight of a gray wolf.  Capybaras are a common prey item for jaguars, caiman, and anacondas.  They usually run from predators and seek refuge in the water if the attacker isn't aquatic.  The bite of a capybara can be damaging, as evidenced by wounds inflicted on attackers from time-to-time.  The gray wolf, however, has a bigger bite, and its longer legs will give it the edge in lateral quickness over the giant rodent.  Capybaras aren't as practiced at combat as the gray wolf, and a single one will have trouble defending itself from a large gray wolf if there's no escape route.  Edge to gray wolf.

How many wolves?

* this will assume the participants are healthy adults on solid ground

Zebra: at least 3, 4 for sure
Moose: probably 5 at least
Cape Buffalo: at least 6
American Bison: probably 7 or 8
Giant Eland: probably 5 or 6
Yak: probably 5 or 6
Gaur: perhaps as many as 9 (if the gaur is over 3,000lb)

* less wolves are certainly capable of overpowering each herbivore; the number mentioned is the likely amount to consistently succeed

Gray Wolf vs Raccoon (at equal size): Interesting battle.  The gray wolf will have greater mobility and a bigger bite, but the rotund raccoon will have the use of its clawed forelimbs.  Raccoons are fierce fighters (can inflict bites with sharp teeth and scratches with sharp claws), and are known for fighting and repelling dogs (in one-on-one situations) that attack them.  They occasionally rumble with foxes (which can be a bit heavier than the raccoon on occasion) and typically hold their own.  A grey wolf is pound-for-pound a more capable fighter than a fox, but most wolves aren't as comfortable fighting one-one-one as with the members of the pack.  A determined wolf can win this, but realistically I believe a 130lb raccoon will be aggressive enough to drive a gray wolf away.  Edge to raccoon.  

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.