Interspecies Conflict/Some New Match-ups

Hey BK it's me again! I have some more match-ups!

Gray Wolf vs Bornean Orangutan
Utahraptor vs Grizzly Bear
Dakotaraptor vs Jaguar
Leopard vs Dire Wolf
Dakotaraptor vs Wild Boar

What animal from North America would thrive best in Africa's ecosystem?
Was if you put Dakotaraptors in Africa, how would they fare?

I watched a documentary about human's disappearance and how animals escaped from their zoos in the US.

How would the following zoo animals do in North America?
African Lion
African Elephant
White Rhino
Asian Elephant

Hello Lawrence.  Good to hear from you again.

Gray Wolf vs Bornean Orangutan: A Bornean orangutan can weigh over 50% more than a gray wolf.  Gray wolves are superb hunters, and work well as a team to overcome large, formidable prey (elk, moose, bison, etc.).  They have good stamina, strong bites, and have quick lateral movement.  A single gray wolf can be a tough opponent, but it won't be as comfortable in combat without help from its pack.  Orangutans are massively strong apes with long arms spanning almost 2.3m wide (their arms are twice as long as their legs).  They are typically peaceful animals and aren't skilled combatants, but can deliver a decent bite if threatened.  The orangutan's limbs are very flexible, and it is capable of great range of motion with its arms.  Although this ape is very maneuverable in the trees, its mobility on the ground is quite limited.  A wolf will have a solid mobility advantage over an orangutan on the ground, and will be able to land quick bites if it's determined to do so.  The orangutan will put up resistance with its long arms, and may be able to land a bite of its own if the wolf gets close enough.  A persistent wolf can succeed over time, but realistically it will break off its attack against the stronger animal before it makes too much headway.  Edge to orangutan.

Utahraptor vs Grizzly Bear: The Utahraptor can weigh about 10% more than a grizzly bear, but the weights and sizes of grizzly bears vary from region-to-region.  An average grizzly bear might weigh somewhere around 318kg, but a large one from the coastal regions of Alaska might exceed twice that weight.  The Utahraptor has a powerful bite, sharp teeth, clawed forelimbs for seizing, clawed hindlimbs for piercing and slashing (with the longest claw close to 30cm in length), and the ability to leap and turn quickly.  Grizzly bears are among the most aggressive of bears, and rarely back down from a conflict.  They have a huge shoulder hump of muscle that enables them to easily dig up tough earth, and gives them great power when swiping with their forelimbs.  Grizzly bears have claws on each paw that can exceed 10cm in length, and these can be mighty weapons.  Like most bears, it has great endurance (it can fight strongly for an extended amount of time).  Very close fight at parity; either animal with a decent weight advantage will have the edge.    

Dakotaraptor vs Jaguar: Dakotaraptor is a recently-discovered dromaeosaurid, and its maximum weight was probably no more than 300kg.  At this estimate, this theropod would weigh over twice as much as a large jaguar.  In the book "The Princeton Field Guide To Dinosaurs" by Gregory S. Paul, the weight of a 5.5m long Utahraptor is listed as 300kg.  5.5m is the estimated length for the Dakotaraptor, so its weight is probably not too far off from 300kg (possibly a bit less if it had a less robust build).  Dakotaraptor may have looked like a smaller version of the 7m long, 500kg Utahraptor (likely with some subtle differences), and probably shared many of the same abilities and attributes (powerful bite, clawed forelimbs for seizing, clawed hindlimbs for piercing and slashing, ability to leap and turn quickly, etc.).  Jaguars have the assets most big cats share (quickness, agility, athleticism, jaws & claws, ferocity, finishing know-how), and are widely considered to be the strongest felid pound-for-pound.  They also have a unique killing method (crushing the skull or spine with their vice-like jaws) that serves them well, and their stocky, muscular builds enable them to excel against most low-to-the-ground adversaries.  I generally favor felids over dromaeosaurids at close weights, but here the Dakotaraptor will have too much of a size advantage.  The jaguar will likely suffer a serious injury before it can get into a favorable killing position.  Dakotaraptor wins.

Leopard vs Dire Wolf: A maximum-sized leopard is about 15% heavier than a dire wolf, but their average weights are probably a lot closer.  Dire wolves were stockier than grey wolves, and had tremendously strong jaws.  They occasionally had to compete with saber-tooth cats (Smilodons) over prey items.  Leopards are among the strongest cats (pound-for-pound), and demonstrate this strength by dragging heavy kills into trees (to keep them from being stolen by lions and hyenas).  Leopards are battle-tested, occasionally dealing with dangerous adversaries (hyenas, baboons, etc.).  Like all cats, leopards have great agility, speed, athleticism, weaponry (jaws & claws), and finishing know-how.  The dire wolf, however, will have better stamina.  Dealing with a dire wolf will be similar to dealing with a large spotted hyena for the leopard, and leopards usually give way to spotted hyenas to avoid suffering any injuries that might impede them from hunting effectively.  The dire wolf will likely drive the leopard away in a realistic encounter, but a serious fight will actually be competitive.  The dire wolf's bite will be a big obstacle for the leopard, but the cat should be able to use its claws and agility to secure a good "finishing bite" position more times than not.  Depends on how you look at it, but overall edge to leopard.

Dakotaraptor vs Wild Boar: The Dakotaraptor, at its heaviest, will probably weigh about 50% more than the wild boar.  The Dakotaraptor won't be quick or mobile enough to claim any major advantage in those categories over the wild boar, but the dromaeosaurid's more diversified weaponry and ability to leap will certainly be a plus in combat.  The wild boar is a battle-tested animal (it's a common prey item across the world and males often fight one another) with tough hide and sharp tusks.  It has good lateral quickness, so it can charge and turn quickly.  Any animal fighting a wild boar must make "avoiding the tusks" a top priority, and the Dakotaraptor has the ability to do this.  The theropod can jump upon the suid and cling to it with its claws, and should be able to inflict damage over time while staying relatively safe from a tusk thrust.  A huge Russian wild boar (350kg) will have a good chance to hold its own, but not a typical full-sized one (200kg).  Edge to Dakotaraptor.

Q: What animal from North America would thrive best in Africa's ecosystem?
A: Probably the coyote.  Coyotes are at home in a variety of habitats, and they would probably fit in well in many areas of Africa.  Although the coyote wouldn't be at the top of the food chain (even in groups), there would be enough prey items available to suit them.  They would need to avoid larger predators, but they would be able to find a niche along the lines of the smaller jackal and the larger African wild dog.  The coyote edges out the gray wolf as my choice because most gray wolves live in colder temperatures.  Gray wolves historically were found in various climates, and although the ones today are very adaptable, many places in Africa would be too hot for them to maintain a decent comfort level.  Other considerations would be the American alligator and some of the predatory birds.

Q: Was if you put Dakotaraptors in Africa, how would they fare?
A: It would depend on a couple of factors.  If they lived and hunted in groups (as believed to be the case with some dromaeosaurids), that would bode well for them considering the predatory competition they would face.  If the climate of South Dakota in the Cretaceous period was reasonably close to some of the cooler areas of Africa (and the ecosystem was compatible with their needs), the Dakotaraptor would have a better chance to thrive.  In regards to conflict with other animals and hunting, the Dakotaraptor would be formidable enough to hold its own against many other animals.  It would be close to the size of a lion, and would probably be close to its equal in a one-on-one battle.  With prides of lions and clans of hyenas about, the Dakotaraptor would definitely fare better as a group than solo.  Other than these 2 large African predator groups, the only threat to a Dakotaraptor would be the Nile crocodile.  Hunting as a group would afford them a wide menu (depending on location), including buffalo, zebra, eland, and many others.  Even the giraffe and the hippopotamus would be potentially vulnerable to a group of Dakotaraptors.  If put in a hospitable climate, the Dakotaraptor would probably do quite well.

Q: How would the following zoo animals do in North America?
A: If by "zoo animal" you mean one raised in a zoo (or one that has spent a lot of its life in a zoo), there may be a lessened ability to hunt, adapt, and survive.  If you mean how these animals will do and are merely referencing that they are sometimes found in zoos, they will do much better on a new continent in a new habitat.

African Lion: A pride of lions will have little to worry about in terms of predatory competition (only a large wolf pack or a large brown bear would come close to challenging them, and they probably won't cross paths with either one), and the main concern will be available prey.  Although some populations of elk and wild boar will be available in the southern parts of North America (and the Baird's tapir in Southern Mexico), the larger animals (bison, moose, muskox) that would better satisfy the big cats' appetites will be found in the colder northern parts.  I'm not sure lions would do well in North America because of this.

African Elephant: In regards to predatory threats or territorial competition from other herbivores, the African elephant will have nothing major to worry about.  It will need to have access to plenty of vegetation and water.  In the warmer areas of North America that satisfy these needs, the African elephant will do quite well.

White Rhino: Similar to the African elephant.  Too large as adults to be threatened by predators or other herbivores, the white rhino will only need access to plenty of water and vegetation to thrive.

Asian Elephant: Similar to the African elephant.  Too large as adults to be threatened by predators or other herbivores, the Asian elephant will only need access to plenty of water and vegetation to thrive.

Giraffe: The giraffe, like the other large herbivores, will need access to plenty of water and vegetation.  In regards to predatory threats, there aren't any in the warmer areas of North America that would threaten a full-grown giraffe.  Young giraffes might be vulnerable to attack from jaguars or black bears (if they come across them), but otherwise the giraffe should do well in certain areas of North America.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.