Interviewing Tips/Interview question

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your time to answer my question.

I have 23 years experienced in the field of Petroleum. I have been interviewed several time and most of the time successful gone through and landed a job.

In my most recent interviews panel of interviewer started to ask questions about field where my expertise were not as strong as my others. Actually, they wanted to drag me to my weaker side. I have never claimed to be the expert of that particular field. I have completed my interview with some kind of a positive note but later I though that I should have intervened in the midst of interview and should have requested them to stop the interview as whole questioning was going on wrong direction.

How do you define such kind of interviews?

Please suggest me if similar situation has arisen in future what should be my  best approach and how to handle this situation without involving a nasty situation.

You have the ability to guide and control your interview by asking questions, as well.
In the future it would be best to gain control of your interview when you note that it is heading in a direction that is counterproductive to the initial inquiry.  

Perhaps the organization felt you were a cultural fit, and that you had a sound background of fundamentals and may have wanted to see if the "weaker" side of your industry might appeal to you.  

Many organizations will invest in those people that have a weaker knowledge base but are trainable and likeable as a co-worker.  Just a thought.  Good luck!

Denise Anne Taylor  

Interviewing Tips

Denise Anne Taylor

aka CAREERMEDIC (TM), a Career Coach with the background to DIAGNOSE. HEAL. REVIVE. your career. Job Search Strategies | Career Transition | Job Interview Coaching/Strategy | Resume Development/Review

Bespoke career services tailored to your needs. Business Etiquette, Job Interview Strategy, Your Job Search, and Career Transition Services have been provided to private clientele, major corporations, educational institutions, and associations throughout the United States.

The Best of MichBusiness, Advisory Board Member 2014-2016 Metro Detroit Chapter of UN Women, Member 2013-2016 Women of Tomorrow, Mentor 2013-2016 Michigan Business and Professional Association, 101 Best and Brightest Companies, Advisory Board Member 2005-2014

Bachelor of Science, Communications, Oakland University, Rochester Hills, MI Certified-Business Etiquette and International Protocol, The Protocol School of Washington

Startup Weekend Detroit-Winner, Crowd Favorite 2015