Interviewing Tips/Interviewing question

Question
I had an interview last Friday and there was one question that has been haunting me. I don't think I handled it that great and I figured I'd ask an expert.

Admittedly I got terminated from one of my previous jobs. Not my most recent but the one before that. It was a dumb mistake and conflicting opinions with management that got me fired. I didn't like it, I still don't, but it was fair.

But the question came up last Friday "can you tell me why you got fired?" I don't remember exactly what I said but I was honest about what happened. But when I said it something didn't feel right with the interviewer. But I think the interviewer was a little distracted anyway. Plus I was sick.

Is there a sure-fire best way to handle that question? I still hope I get a job with this company but I don't know if I handled that question right.

Answer
Dear Ryan:

Sorry for the extreme delay in answering this question.  It landed in spam.

You have to answer the question matter of factly.  State what happened, admit it was fair, and above all say you learned from it and will not repeat the mistake.

Point out that you have a stable track record and go on from there.  Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler