Interviewing Tips/2nd job offer?

Hi Deepa. I just started a new job this week. I knew it wasn't the perfect job, but I knew that it was going to be a lot better than my old job which made me miserable everyday. Last week, right before I started this job, I got a call from another place for an informational interview. Loved the place, loved the people, would be a better match (but they were in the process of deciding whether there will truly be an opening or not). In the event that this new place calls and offers me a position, which I hope will be next week, how do I tell my current brand-new employer the news without burning down any bridges? I am currently in a probationary period anyway, in which time they can let me go, but I just want to do it in a professional manner w/o offending anyone.

Hi Angeldust,

Congratulations on being in this position, not many people have choices when it comes to jobs these days. And I applaud you for wanting to be professional even when you make an exit from your current company. Does the other position fit better in terms of the job profile and do justice to your qualifications and background better than your current position? That is usually a good reason to give your current employer, but make sure it sounds logical based on the new position you are taking. As for not burning bridges, do reiterate your appreciation and gratefulness for your current job. Make it personal, not business, but in a good way - tell them that you like the people you work with and would love to come back in the future if and when there is a good fit in all regards. If that seems too dishonest and "schmoozy/salesy" to you, just keep it brief, make it about the job itself, not the people and apologize for the inconvenience.

And word of caution: even if you have the best of intentions, and you leave things professionally, there might still be some people at your current employer who will hold a grudge, and you probably might risk not being able to work at that company or any other company where this person might be in a position of power.

Interviewing Tips

Deepa Barve, CIR

I can answer questions regarding interviews, resumes, cover letters and job searching in general. I can answer questions from both candidates (interviewee), as well as hiring managers, supervisors, and recruiters; in other words the "interviewer". I have a large network, so I can also provide resources and referrals. I have over 7 years of recruiting experience and inside information on how hiring managers think and select candidates, and I would love to share this knowledge with job-seekers to enable them to find their dream job.

I am the Lead Technical Recruiter for an engineering consulting firm, and I have been in recruiting for over seven years. I have recruited for a variety of positions (exempt, non-exempt, executive) and worked across diverse industries (hi-tech, retail, hospitality, medical device). For more information, please visit my profile on LinkedIn.

Recruiting related articles published on -

MBA - Marketing