Interviewing Tips/new job problems

Question
Hi Denise,

After being laid off from my last job due to acquisition, I was unemployed for over a year. The job I have now is absolutely the worst job I've ever had and certainly more than I am able to handle. The problem is I felt I had to accept the offered position due to Unemployment Compensation rules (since I applied to it) or possibly suffer financial consequences should an audit occur. Ironically, it is the best paying job I've ever held. It is a state agency and things couldn't be more different than any private company I've ever worked for. It is super fast-paced and I don't really feel like I'm getting it in addition to making tons of mistakes.

I instinctively knew when I started that this job was wrong for me, even though some of my past experience could be useful. I am "detail-oriented", yet this job is hyper- Detailed. I feel like I'm losing an uphill battle since I started 2.5 months ago. Incidentally, I have felt miserable and frustrated there since the first week, something that has never happened in any previous job held! In that regard, if I am terminated (which is probably likely due to management assessment of my performance), how do I present this to an interviewer when they ask why I left my last job or why I was fired? Can I say the job was a poor fit for my skill set and personality? I want to make sure to not be too negative in the process. Please help me. I do have a very good job history, so this would be the shortest position I've held so far. Thanks.

Answer
Wayne,

Clearly you are frustrated.  It is not uncommon in the course of your work history to stumble upon those roles that are not a fit and it many times may not be determined until you actually take on the role.  It is ok to move on.  It is ok to always be looking even when you are satisfied with a role.  

It is ok to continually evolve, grow, and develop your skills and work environment to meet your dreams and goals.

There is an uptick in the economy, hiring is on the upswing and it is a good time to start looking for a new opportunity.  Remember that as you proceed you should always have your resume updated and ready to go at ALL times and ALWAYS be looking as this is the way of the workforce moving forward.  ALWAYS BE LOOKING, ALWAYS BE READY.

Regardless if you were fired/released/phased out/etc...Just a mention that the position was not a fit for your intended growth and development moving forward.  Keep it simple as most people talk themselves out of a job.

Good luck and move onward.  Onward ever, backward never!

Denise Anne Taylor

Interviewing Tips

Denise Anne Taylor