Interviewing Tips/What to say at the beginning of a phone interview?

I am going to have a telephone interview with a company. Since English is not my native language, I feel nervous that I may stumble at the beginning.

May I ask this question?

At the beginning, when I pick up the phone and say ‘Good morning’, I suppose, they will say ‘Good morning. How are you?’

-I’m fine. Thank you. How are you today?
-We are good. Thank you.

Then what should I say next?

My sincere thanks,

Dear Kevin:

You just need to wait until they ask you a question.  Hopefully, your English is good enough that you will understand and be able to answer the question they ask.  If not, a phone interview may not be your best option.

They may not ask you how you are.  I would just say good morning or good afternoon, nice to speak with you today and wait until they ask the first question.

Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler

I will answer questions about resumes and how to do well on an interview. I am a former employment counselor and I have owned my own resume and career counseling business since 1982.

I have over 24 years of experience in this field. One of my greatest achievements was being asked to serve on the Employment Services Committee of our local outreach. I also conduct workshops and am a guest speaker at many schools and for our local outreach.