Interviewing Tips/Interview While Pregnant With a Twist (at Motherhood Maternity store)

Question
Hello and thank you for your time! I am 25 weeks pregnant, due in mid February, and I have a job interview at the Motherhood Maternity store at my local mall (irony not intended!) tomorrow. I know that being pregnant isn't exactly a selling point in most interviews but I wondered if my ability to connect more with customers in order to sell more, as well as my ability to utilize their advertised employee discount, effectively spending my own money there while modelling their clothing for free might outweigh my impending maternity leave. The position was advertised as "seasonal possibly leading to permanent." I am at a loss for how I should handle this very specific situation! Thank you for your time and any advice you might be able to offer!

Answer
Dear Karen:

I think you have a "huge" selling point!  No pun intended.  : )

You certainly would be able to identify with the customer and understand their needs and concerns.  You might want to say, who would understand their needs better than another pregnant woman?  Also, your point about wearing their clothing is a great one.

The only issue is....if the position became permanent, would you be able or willing to take the job since you are having a baby?  If you are, you need to state that and your plans for child care so they would know you are serious.

Go into the interview enthusiastically and restart your selling points.  Let me know what happens.

Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler