Interviewing Tips/Cover letter

Question
Hello,

I am looking for a new job- a job that I am PASSIONATE about! I want to get back into the mental health research field. I am considering positions that allow work with people with mental illness and/or neurological disorders.

I have both- mental illness and epilepsy. You wouldn't known by looking at me. I've become an advocate for people with mental illness + and would like to include this in my cover letter in the most appropriate way- but have no idea how to do that. It's personal- but I want the employer to know that I cared about this work long before applying for their position and that I have invaluable input because of what I've done and who I am, in reference to this field.

So, how do I say this or get this across in an appropriate and professional way?

Thank you!
Kristy

Answer
So sorry for the extreme delay in answering your question.  This landed in spam.

I think you can say in your cover that you have personally overcome many challenges that will allow you to relate and help clients.  I wouldn't go into more detail than that until you have an interview.

And, on the interview, I would make sure you stress that you can do the job even though you have perhaps - anxiety disorder or whatever it is.  For instance, I personally have an issue with anxiety, but I am fully functional at the jobs I am employed to do.

So there is a way to convey this and a way not to convey this information.  The bottom line is you have to prove and assure the potential employer that you can do the work.

Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler