Interviewing Tips/Appropriate interview questions

I have a vast amount of student loans and have been searching for a full-time position with either a non-profit or a government agency.  Such a position would help me to have my loans forgiven after a 10 year period, but the position must be full-time.

A friend was kind enough to recommend me to her supervisor at the local YMCA and I was offered an interview next week.  However, when I spoke to the hiring personnel over the phone, I was informed that the position was for 35 hours/week.  This is 5 hours shy of the 40 that the Y considers full-time, and I imagine the hours were intentional so that I would be categorized as part-time.

When would be an appropriate time to clarify whether I would have an opportunity to work full-time or not?  I know you shouldn't ask pay/benefit questions during an interview, but since I was recommended for this position I don't want to waste anyone's time (especially since there will be a "series" of interviews) or make my friend look bad.  

Also, if I am not able to work full-time, I would want to continue pursuing other opportunities even if I took this job, so I don't want to provide false impressions and leave anyone hanging.  When is the appropriate time to discuss these issues in this situation?

Dear Rebecca:

Sorry for the delay in answering.  This landed in spam.

I think toward the middle of the interview would be a good time to ask if the position will possibly go to full time.  Explain that you really need full time work because of the reason you gave me about the loans.

In your situation, I think if you approach this professionally, you do have a good reason for bringing up this issue so time is not wasted for
all parties.

Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler

I will answer questions about resumes and how to do well on an interview. I am a former employment counselor and I have owned my own resume and career counseling business since 1982.

I have over 24 years of experience in this field. One of my greatest achievements was being asked to serve on the Employment Services Committee of our local outreach. I also conduct workshops and am a guest speaker at many schools and for our local outreach.