Interviewing Tips/Employee background checks?

Hi Ruth
I am starting a small business in Saskatoon. With a 'hot' economy, I am having trouble finding 'good' employees, although I am offering above average wages. The few applicants I have so far seem questionable.
Apart from checking references, is there an online search available, either free or for a fee, that would let me find out if there was an arrest or other legal issues that are in the public domain?
I would no problem hiring ex cons or people that had trouble in the past. We all make mistakes, I did,but I would rather someone was truthfull to me.

Hi Bud:

Sorry for the delay in answering went into spam.

If you google background checks, you would see a myriad of services that allow you to background check an employee.  Some are inexpensive and some more expensive, depending upon how much you need to view.

You need to ask the employee if they are willing to have a background check done on them.  If they say no, don't bother, and don't hire them.

Warmly, R. Butler

Interviewing Tips

Ruth Butler

I will answer questions about resumes and how to do well on an interview. I am a former employment counselor and I have owned my own resume and career counseling business since 1982.

I have over 24 years of experience in this field. One of my greatest achievements was being asked to serve on the Employment Services Committee of our local outreach. I also conduct workshops and am a guest speaker at many schools and for our local outreach.