Interviewing Tips/How to ask company to wait after verbal offer
Recently, I got a verbal offer at the end of a face-to-face interview from a Director of a company. He said "Well, we would love to extend you an offer. Are you able to say yes now?" and demanded an answer from me on the spot. As much as I loved the company, I was in the middle of interviewing other companies (some 2nd round, a few 1st round interviews). So I told him I couldn't say yes right away and asked him if he could wait a few weeks after the new year for my final decision, so that I could finalize a few interviews.
He did seem disappointed and perhaps a little upset that I couldn't say yes to his verbal offer right away. Then he said if I am going to make him wait, he is not going to give me anything in writing and won't give me a first offer before other companies because he's tired of being used as a "negotiation pawn" for salary negotiations.
How would you have handled this situation? Did I handle this incorrectly by telling him that I was interviewing other companies? Should I just have said "yes" and get a firm, written offer, and then ask him to wait? I told him my interviews situation because first, I wanted to be honest about my situation, and second I really hoped that he could give me some time to finalize my options. But maybe he would have been upset either way.
It is unfair for them to expect you to decide on the spot.
I would have told him you needed some time to think it over, but I would not have mentioned the other interviews. Most people need a few days to see if they can economically take a position, etc.
Never mention other interviews in the future. Go home, decide if you want the position and give an answer within a few days.
Warmly, R. Butler