Interviewing Tips/Job Interview

I had did a job interview one week and two days ago. The interview seemed to have gone quite well. The interviewer, who is the owner, started talking about whay my duties will be and did most of the talking all the way through, only asking me a couple questions. They seemed satisfied with my main qualification, and mentioned that training would be provided. The interveiwer mentioned what I would be doing, hours expected to work, the salary, lunch breaks, tasks I will handle, and expected attire. They were particularly happy that I lived within 7 minutes of the location.  They asked when I would want to start. I mentioned "right away". They expressed that for the remainder of that week, they still had more interviews to conduct. At the end of the interview, they asked if I had any questions, I asked 1 or 2. Then after they answered, they asked again if I had any questions, I said no, and that I was satisfied with the information they gave. The interviewer and I got up and shook hands. And departed. The interview lasted betweeen 10-15 minutes. Do you think I stand a chance?

While it is difficult to analyze your status based on the information provided; it is best to continue to search and apply for desired jobs and repeat the process, over and over, while interviewing as much as possible.  

It is better to be in a continuous motion of searching, applying, interviewing.  

Please note that not all managers have been trained on how to interview and therefore, many times, they will speak in such a way that leads you to believe that you are the winner in the career lottery called the job interview.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

Do not give up or over analyze; just continue to search and apply.  Also, many times those hiring have other duties and responsibilities and while they mean to stay on the timeline provided be aware that a sudden project or concern may take them away from the hiring process and that leaves you and others waiting.

In addition, many companies will no longer tell you, "Thanks, but no thanks."  which may add to your frustration.  Keep applying for roles and keep interviewing until something solid unfolds.  

Follow-up with a thank you note (handwritten, preferred), outreach by email and inquire about an update and highlight, as a refresh, a couple of notable qualifications that you have related to their needs from the initial job interview and await their feedback.  Avoid appearing too needy or asking how you did on the interview; these are no-no's.  

Good luck, Sal, and let me know if you need further clarification.  Denise Anne Taylor  

Interviewing Tips

Denise Anne Taylor

aka CAREERMEDIC (TM), a Career Coach with the background to DIAGNOSE. HEAL. REVIVE. your career. Job Search Strategies | Career Transition | Job Interview Coaching/Strategy | Resume Development/Review

Bespoke career services tailored to your needs. Business Etiquette, Job Interview Strategy, Your Job Search, and Career Transition Services have been provided to private clientele, major corporations, educational institutions, and associations throughout the United States.

The Best of MichBusiness, Advisory Board Member 2014-2016 Metro Detroit Chapter of UN Women, Member 2013-2016 Women of Tomorrow, Mentor 2013-2016 Michigan Business and Professional Association, 101 Best and Brightest Companies, Advisory Board Member 2005-2014

Bachelor of Science, Communications, Oakland University, Rochester Hills, MI Certified-Business Etiquette and International Protocol, The Protocol School of Washington

Startup Weekend Detroit-Winner, Crowd Favorite 2015