Interviewing Tips/Job

Question

I have a chronic illness than can occasionally cause pain and lethargy. Should I be upfront about it with potential employers? I'm concerned that it will hurt my chances.

Thank you,

Jack

Answer
CareerMedic
CareerMedic  
Jack,

This is a difficult subject; however, it is not illegal to avoid disclosing an illness during a job search.

See the link below for more on the topic.

"The risk for not disclosing an illness that may affect job performance is that some employers or colleagues may resent the lack of openness later. It's ultimately an ethical decision that experts say must be made individually.

"If [the medical disability] is not obvious, unless it is required for the actual job, I don't think it's necessary to discuss it during an interview," says Roy Grizzard, assistant secretary for disability employment policy at the US Department of Labor." (Excerpt from When to Reveal a Disability during your Job Hunt)

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/getting-started/when-to-reveal-a-dis

Hope this helps!  Good luck.  Denise Anne Taylor

Interviewing Tips

Denise Anne Taylor