Inventing New Products/Inventions/feasibility study on new inventions

Hi Marty,  I'm trying to do a feasibility study on an invention I came up with and have no idea where to start.  My invention is a beauty machine, very similar in size to a photo booth found in malls.  It is used to cut down on time at a salon, by providing the same service in a reduced time frame.  This machine capabilities are to shampoo, style, cut, color, and do make-up.  It sounds like a robot almost needs to be in there to make everything work.  It need to have hands to be able to provide the services. It also need to have a camera to take "after" photos, a scanner to scan in specific pictures of a style someone may like to have.  This machine should have a photo gallery for the customer to search new styles. Software is needed to ensure that the screen displays what the customer is requesting. I have an idea of what I want to do, I'm just not sure of how to go about doing to research for this idea.  Does it sound feasible? It sounds like a good idea, but even if it doesn't work, I still need to know how to do the research and I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed some light on this project. Thank you so much.

Hi Yvonne,

This is a feasible idea; however it will cost millions of dollars in research & development to realize your idea.  Anytime you have cutting-edge technology in an idea, you should expect to pay BIG-BUCKS to perfect the technology.  There are existing patents you might want to check into.

And there are other people that have this vision as well:

Do not let this scare you away though.  If this vision is strong within you, research it.  Google it and let that Google search result path steer your way in to a world of learning.

Unless you are independently wealthy and have 5 or 10 million to spend, you will need partners, investors, R&D directors, robotics experts, software engineers and countless other strategic partnerships.

Even before you go down that path....will women TRUST a robot to have a sharp eyeliner a centimeter away from their eye?  This is the question you have to answer FIRST.  If the answer is no....well then it makes no sense to build your make-up booth if no one will pay to use it.  Put simply, you have to validate the market FIRST.

To get more information on this, read this book:  "If You Build It, Will They Come" by Dr. Rob Adams.  You can research it here:

Best of luck with your research!

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea

Commercialization of an idea is truly an art form and I'm really good at letting people borrow my paintbrush. Although, it's important to note that you are your own artist, I can't paint what you see in your mind, only you can do that. But I can help. I can answer questions about honing your idea and helping it to become more real in your mind, your research, and within your speaking. I can answer questions about market research, validation, and where to go to make your first contact. My expertise is in answering the large questions that you have into more manageable pieces. I can also assist you in finding the source of the data that you can use to prove and pitch your idea if that's the path that you're on.

In my opinion, the current way to invent is inherently flawed. Regular people like us normally get “eaten up” by the proverbial sharks in the water. (corporations, invention submission companies, lawyers, etc)

We can not stand for this any longer; you feel this too, yes?

I have helped people think and re-think their ideas for years. Nobel Prize Winner Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi once said that "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what no one has thought." I agree with this truth with all of my heart. Now let's talk about your question, your passion, and how I can help your idea gain momentum if it is ready. If your idea is not ready for the market yet, I'll help you determine how you can get ready.

Bachelors of Arts in Organizational Communication from the University of Northern Iowa Masters of Science in Technology Commercialization from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin