Inventing New Products/Inventions/Textile Engineering

Hi Marty,

First off, thanks for your time and expertise!

I'd love a little guidance.  I have a concept in my mind for a product in the hunting industry.  My problem is I think I need a textile engineer, or something of the sort, that can help me see how financially viable the idea is and help transition the idea from from my head into something commercially functional.

Sorry for the vague question, but any suggestions of a direction would be wonderful!  

Thanks again!

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the question; I would say you're half right.  You might need a textile engineer to help you translate that idea into the market.  However, through your own commitment, diligence and research....YOU can find out if it's commercially and financially viable.  Market validation is one of the keys to commercializing products and you can learn how to do this yourself.  Once you do, you will be amazed that when you think of an idea in the future, market validation will be an automatic frame of thinking for you.  Check this book out; it will help you get started: Very solid market validation book.  

Now, concerning the textile engineer; depending on how complex your idea is, you may want to think about making a prototype yourself.  It may not be the best; however it will give you something physical to refine the design with.  

I hope this information helps Jay!

Happy Inventing!

Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea

Commercialization of an idea is truly an art form and I'm really good at letting people borrow my paintbrush. Although, it's important to note that you are your own artist, I can't paint what you see in your mind, only you can do that. But I can help. I can answer questions about honing your idea and helping it to become more real in your mind, your research, and within your speaking. I can answer questions about market research, validation, and where to go to make your first contact. My expertise is in answering the large questions that you have into more manageable pieces. I can also assist you in finding the source of the data that you can use to prove and pitch your idea if that's the path that you're on.

In my opinion, the current way to invent is inherently flawed. Regular people like us normally get “eaten up” by the proverbial sharks in the water. (corporations, invention submission companies, lawyers, etc)

We can not stand for this any longer; you feel this too, yes?

I have helped people think and re-think their ideas for years. Nobel Prize Winner Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi once said that "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what no one has thought." I agree with this truth with all of my heart. Now let's talk about your question, your passion, and how I can help your idea gain momentum if it is ready. If your idea is not ready for the market yet, I'll help you determine how you can get ready.

Bachelors of Arts in Organizational Communication from the University of Northern Iowa Masters of Science in Technology Commercialization from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin