Inventing New Products/Inventions/Invention

Question
Hello Marty,
         In my mind I have created many inventions and only once have I actually made a demo type. It turned out beautiful but I just didn't know what to do after that. I now have a picture in my mind that I think will be a great sale and a useful item to many. Unfortunately I still am not sure where or what to do at this point. It saddens me that I have all these pictures in my mind and no where to take them for development, or even step two. Seeing as step one would be the picture in my head. What are the proper protocols for starting with just a picture?

Answer
Marjorie,

We; as human beings, have very creative minds.  Most start with a vision or picture in their mind, but most of the time that picture fades over time because the bandwidth of our ego and the conscious mind choke the life out of our creative portions.  Sometimes a picture is so pervasive in our mind's eye that it transcends all of the other noise in our mind, which is where you are at.  This is truly a beautiful place to be.  

There is no protocol to creation.  Every picture, every vision, every idea is unique and different and should be thought about as an individual idea partaking in the whole.  That being said, there are a few common practices that you should do on every idea.

1) Deeper thought and idea refinement (as in Inception, "you need the simplest form of the idea."
2) Market validation - who will buy your idea.  Who will use it?  Why would they LOVE it?  Why would they choose your idea over others that are similar?
3) Intellectual property protection - patents, trademarks, copyright, copyleft, etc.
4) Money - do you want to start a business around the picture or idea?  If so, who is providing the seed capital for the business to bet off the ground?

These are just a few of the things that you should think about with most ideas that you want to put into the world.  

There are a number of books that are helpful, If you want I can provide authors and titles to you.  

I hope this information helps.  I am here for you along the way if you need answers to your questions or inspiration or a shoulder to lean on.

Happy inventing!

Cheers,

Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea