Inventing New Products/Inventions/Infringing on another Patent

Hello Mr. Farris,
   I'm currently designing a prototype for a backpack. I'm lost on how to avoid violating someone else's patent. I've read how you can patent an idea as long as it is a new design off of an existing one. However, if I am just adding more to an already existing design, am I infringing the patent of the original design. Does the same go for a utility patent, am I allowed to have a new product that fulfills the same utility? What are your suggestions to cost efficiently bringing a product to market, without paying the lawyer research fees and provoking a lawsuit. Thank you for your time.

I would advise you to read "Patent Pending in 24 Hours" By Pressman. If you cannot get around their patent I would ask for a license and pay them a royalty, and/or, after you file a PPA, show them the prototype and see if they take a license from you.

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Barry Farris

How to protect your idea and save money. Who to trust and who not to deal with. Investors, lawyers and other folks who may or may not be your friend. How to figure out if your idea makes economic sense before you waste your time and money. Deal points with a license deal. Answer for should you build a company around your idea or license it out. How to get competitive information.

I have about 2 dozen issued and pending patents and make some really money along the way. I been inventing full time since 1989. I have learned how to write my own pending patents without a law degree. I have earned a prize in an international product design competition.

Various independent inventors groups

US Patent Office

I have a BS from San Jose State.

Awards from the US Dept of Energy and Medical Device Design Competition.

Companies ranging from $10 billion to 200 million, but I signed secrecy agreements.