Inventing New Products/Inventions/Is it patentable

Question
I have two well known trade marked products that I mixed together and it did wonders.  I want to know if I combine the two if the product would be considered a new product and then I could patent it?  Or would I need to find the ingredients in them, break them down, re-combine them and then it would be a new product?  It would really be a viable product for the house.

Answer
Hi Tina,

You want to be VERY careful here.  The answer is 'no' you can't just take two well-known products and combine them to make a new product.  Those well-known products most assuredly have patents, copyrights and trademarks on their products, the formula for the product and the brand recognition marketing for their products.  Combining products and marketing them under a different name will land you in a world of hurt if the companies ever found out.  So my advice would be to not do this...ever.

That being said, if you somehow figure out what's in their products and put those ingredients together along with your own refinements and additions, that formula would probably be patentable.

I hope this info helps!

Happy Inventing!

Cheers,

Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea