Inventing New Products/Inventions/not too sure about a collaboration

Question
I've always had an idea for a product or a business. The problem is I've had difficulty getting it done as well. I can only act at some aspects of the product, idea -I lack some skills/knowledge in some aspects. So I come to consider collaborating with some one-giving my idea to him for the product in return. So my worry is that this person may be untrustworthy. I need to get the idea out there, i lack some skills, i need someone, i worry about that someone, what should i do? What is the best way to get the idea implemented? THANK YOU!

Answer
Hi Heni,

You are in a common position to many other inventors out there in the world. It's rare that ONE PERSON has all the necessary skills to take an idea from mind to market. What I would suggest is doing some research to see if there are any local inventor groups that you can attend. Most cities have some sort of 'maker space' where inventors and tinkerers meet. If you do find a group like this, attend a few of their meetings. Talk to people, get to know them and let them get to know you. Only interaction and conversation fosters trust. Let them know what type of skills you are needing. You may end up meeting one of your future partners there. :)

Another great thing to do is to read every article and every book you can about inventing, market validation, non-disclosure agreements, prototyping and commercialization. This will not only be a very valuable use of your free time, but you will learn a ton! And with increased knowledge comes increased confidence. Let your brain get addicted to learning about your passion. I promise, you will be much happier and experience greater success.

Let me know if you have questions along the way.

Happy inventing!

Cheers,
Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea