Inventing New Products/Inventions/Market Validation

Question
Hi. Marty,

Thanks for the tip on market validation through an earlier question. It seems that instead of building it and hoping they will come I need to find out what is of enough value to be developed.

Is there some simple and efficient way to do that online? I've been developing a spreadsheet with all the criteria to check as i browse the net to come up with innovations to what's there. ie. ease of making, substitutes, critical bottlenecks, gut feeling etc
Is this the way? Or a better starting point?

Also is it highly... or moderately valuable in doing such market research by quickly making webpage and google analytics research skills?

Any resources?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Sunny-Omer,

You are on the right track as there are a number of ways to validate a market.  The spreadsheet is one way, but that is only YOUR perspective.  You also need to get the market's perspective.  So you should be talking to people, interviewing people, asking them probing questions, sending out shot surveys, interviewing experts in the field, etc.  One of the most important things you can do is get out of your own head and enter the minds and hearts of potential customers of your idea.  Only in this way can you get very real and valuable data.

A word about making a webpage, the moment you put your idea out in the public....it is no longer patentable.  Remember that.  :)

Cheers,

Marty

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea