Inventing New Products/Inventions/Baby Item

Question

I am sending in a provisional patent for a baby/child item....not a toy but a household necessity.
I want to share my drawings/images with the right people.
In the perfect world I would get a 1x payment and a small % of ea sale.  I see this as a long term item that all parents can use....it's not a novelty item.

Advice? Contacts?  I'm in the Bay Area (CA)

Answer
Hi Monica,

What I would do is attend tradeshows where new baby ideas are presented. Get really really good at pitching your idea in under 30 seconds. Check out http://www.theabcshow.com/ for example.  After you get your provisional patent, create a very high quality prototype or three to take with you to showcase your idea.  Also, before you go, I would ABSOLUTELY suggest that you contact an IP attorney that specializes in royalty agreements to draft up a royalty agreement for you.  That way if you attend this (or any other) tradeshow and some company wants to include your idea into their product line, you can whip out your contract right there and then.

There are a number of other tradeshows in the Bay area as well.  Just search for them and you will find a variety of ways that you can get your idea out there.  :)

Best of luck Monica and Happy Inventing!

Cheers,

Marty McCrea  

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea