Inventing New Products/Inventions/Invention Process

Question
Is it 1st make a prototype and 2nd file a provisional patent application? Or file a provisional patent application, and then make a prototype? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

There is no set way to invent as no situation, person, idea or market circumstance is the same.  Rather; there are best practices that can be followed to maximize your potential for at least a shot at success.  So, getting to your question...

A provisional patent application is basically a filing-date placeholder for your future full patent to be filed no more than 1 year after the provisional patent is filed.  You will want to research it and really familiarize yourself with what a provisional actually is and when it is useful...and when it is not.

Generally; if you are producing the prototype yourself and keep your idea secret, there is no need for a provisional patent yet.  Conversely; if you plan to contract with a company or manufacturer of some kind to make your prototype for you, then I would absolutely suggest a provisional patent to be filed before you even say one word to that company or entity.  

I hope this helps you sort out what needs to be done.  Let me know if further questions arise.

Happy Inventing!

Cheers,
Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea