Inventing New Products/Inventions/How have inventions changed over time and how do I submit an invention?

Hi, my name is Micah. I am a student. In my class, we are doing a choice project. I chose to learn about inventions. I am wondering how to submit one if I have one. I wanted to talk to a real person or business about it. I was on the internet and found your website. I was wondering if you could help.

Hi Micah,

You don't actually submit an invention, you submit a patent to the USPTO that protects the intellectual property rights of a certain design or characteristic of the invention. There are different types of patents; there is a design patent, a utility patent, a provisional patent, etc. Please Google each of these to learn about the differences and similarities of the patents. The invention industry is a very unique and be a very dangerous industry. There are companies whose sole purpose is to take advantage of the inexperienced, naïve and passionate inventor. So as you are composing your knowledge and transferring it into a report, make sure to research that part of the industry. There are also valid and honorable consultants and companies out there.  Since the success rate of an inventor and their idea is very very low, inventing is a long, emotional, painful and fulfilling process and the thorns in the rose bushes does not discourage the true inventor.

What I would suggest is spending a few hours researching 'how' products are created. Pay special attention to the process of market validation and idea refinement.

Best of luck of your report.

Marty McCrea

Inventing New Products/Inventions

Marty McCrea

Commercialization of an idea is truly an art form and I'm really good at letting people borrow my paintbrush. Although, it's important to note that you are your own artist, I can't paint what you see in your mind, only you can do that. But I can help. I can answer questions about honing your idea and helping it to become more real in your mind, your research, and within your speaking. I can answer questions about market research, validation, and where to go to make your first contact. My expertise is in answering the large questions that you have into more manageable pieces. I can also assist you in finding the source of the data that you can use to prove and pitch your idea if that's the path that you're on.

In my opinion, the current way to invent is inherently flawed. Regular people like us normally get “eaten up” by the proverbial sharks in the water. (corporations, invention submission companies, lawyers, etc)

We can not stand for this any longer; you feel this too, yes?

I have helped people think and re-think their ideas for years. Nobel Prize Winner Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi once said that "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody else has seen, and thinking what no one has thought." I agree with this truth with all of my heart. Now let's talk about your question, your passion, and how I can help your idea gain momentum if it is ready. If your idea is not ready for the market yet, I'll help you determine how you can get ready.

Bachelors of Arts in Organizational Communication from the University of Northern Iowa Masters of Science in Technology Commercialization from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin