You are here:

Inventing New Products/Inventions/Registering a US provisional patent whilst in another country


How are you? I want to register a US provisional patent. l understand filling electronically costs $65. What l want to find out is if there are any other costs involved for someone like me who is filling from outside the US.
Thank you.

Hi there,

Off the top of my head I do not believe there would be other costs.

However, you should definitely check with your country's patent office first before you file as most of them have a law stating one must first file in that country before filing foreign.

Having said that, it's not as though you're filing for a formal Utility patent merely an Application offering little protection other than its Filing date, so it may not apply. I am just not totally sure hence why you should check with your country's patent office or whichever body represents your country (if it does not have a patent office), such as the Euro patent office, etc.

Penny Ballou  

Inventing New Products/Inventions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Penny Ballou


The Invention Process; Royalties; Licensing Inventions/Products; Pricing; Direct to Market; Marketing/Promotions; Patent Searching; DIY patent writing; Types of patents/costs/how to's; Funding (grants and Angel investors); Prototyping; Off-Shore sourcing.


I am founder of an inventors group; Advisory Board President of; former Licensing Executive Society member; researcher for and a consultant; plus moderate and contribute to several online inventor discussion groups.

Enter my email address into any search engine to find them.

Invention development: well-studied and applied in all aspects of the process and an inventor myself with one invention in patent pending and others ramping up. Lived and attended schools in Mainland China and the UK.

©2017 All rights reserved.