Ireland/Moving to Ireland as a pharmacy technician

Hi Hugh,

I glanced over your answer for pharmacists that you wrote four years ago, but I was looking for something more specifically geared to pharmacy technicians. Ireland has some very appealing features (beautiful, universal healthcare, free college tuition) that make me want to move there, and since I'm studying to be a pharmacy technician, I wondered what the requirements might be, versus being a technician in the States.

Also, I've read the Irish immigration site, but if you have anything to add, I'd welcome it. (Do you know if the citizenship fee is still €980, like I read on another site? That's awful high, in Euros and American!)

Thank you for your help.

P.S.: I don't know if this makes any difference, but I was an exchange student in the southeast ten years ago, so I'm familiar with some parts of the country.

Dear Dayanara,

Thank you for your interest in Ireland.

There is work available for Pharmacy technicians in Ireland both in the local pharmacy sector and in the industrial field.

The job advertisements however do not reveal the salaries offered and generally the present level of wages in Ireland is being forced downward due to the large numbers of unemployed people.

The work permit fees are in fact €1,000 for 24 month permit. There is a short term (six month) option for €500 in the case of a company bringing in a person for this lesser time. As far as I can see it does not  apply to the individual seeking work here.

There is also a question mark over the profession of pharmacy technician as it is not mentioned either on the list of eligible or non-eligible occupations. It may fall into the medical professional classification which is eligible.

I would see the best approach as having a position confirmed before coming to Ireland in which case the cost of the permit could be negotiated with the employer either as falling to the employer's cost or as a loan deductible over the period of employment.

I think your South East experience could be very important. One job advertisement I read mentioned a requirement for experience in Ireland. Also perhaps some of your contacts during that period may be able to direct you toward specific job opportunities.

Merk Sharp and Dome and Pfizer are companies with large USA presence and perhaps making contact with the American offices might be a way to find a path into their Irish operations.

Overall I would be cautious about committing to Ireland until you have secured a position.

I wish you great success in your career.

Hugh O'Rourke

I can answer questions about Ireland. My particular fields of expertise are the natural beauty of Ireland, travel information for Ireland and insights into business and politics here. I am interested in all aspects of our country and can readily find links for aspects of this country in which I am not myself expert. You can see some of my pictures of Ireland at

Past/Present clients
JFK Trust, New Ross, County Wexford.
Kealy technical Services, Tramore Waterford Heath Technical services Sligo An Teach Bán Downings Co.Donegal Milk Link Bristol UK JFK Trust, New Ross County Wexford